Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 08:53 AM

Default How\'s my overpair line? (bad, i think)

villan seemed LAGgish, playing a fair amount of pots. should i still get away when he minraises this flop? And if I do decide to call the flop raise, do I pretty much need to lead the turn so I know I can fold to a raise?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter

BB ($95.60)
Hero ($54.85)
MP ($44.95)
Button ($78.70)
SB ($13.28)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($24.75) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $30</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $54.75
Old 12-13-2005, 09:13 AM

Default Re: How\'s my overpair line? (bad, i think)

I'd lead the turn for ~$18 and fold to any further aggression.

If he's a laggiac, this screams "Hey! I'M ON A FLUSH DRAW! I RAISED FOR THE FREE CARD!"

And when he saw that you had given up, he overbet to make you feel even less sure about your hand.

He could have anything from 77-TT here. If he has a set, he sure played it like a total idiot. I'd say your hand is good here often enough to lead the turn.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

And when he saw that you had given up, he overbet to make you feel even less sure about your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

For this same reason, would it be an acceptable, if risky, play to call with top set here and check the turn to him? Assuming he's lag?

Or is that asking for suckoutzorz?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:24 AM

Slowplaying your set lets the villain check behind when he misses the turn and then bomb the river when he hits. Play your sets fast, I'd three bet it all in on flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:55 AM

Yes I think that unless you have some extra information on villain (you have seen the sorts of hand he makes this play with on the flop ,for instance) then you should lead the turn. I would probably bet $20. If villain raises I fold. If villain calls I feel unhapy, maby try a block bet of $25 on a non-heart low river.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:09 AM

lead the turn, fold to the raise.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:19 PM

I too am in favor of a turn lead for 20. This is the best way to get TT-88 or a flush draw into passive mode, and take over the hand.

A problem I see, that maybe can't be avoided, is that you may well have to call a push if he makes it, having put more than 1/2 your stack in at this point.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 PM

I agree with leading the turn, however i don't necessarily think you should fold to a raise. Players at this level will be going to the felt w/ 88-TT here as well as a guthsot and fd like Ah5h. I am going to get my stack in here and feel confident i am ahead a large percentage of the time.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 PM

3-bet push the flop.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet push the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think 3-bet pushing has much value, as there are few or no hands that we are way ahead of that call a push.
Sets will call and ruin us, TT-77 get a chance to fold, flush draws might fold too (but even if they call, they're probably not much worse than a coinflip with an overcard or two)