Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: How good a driver are you?

I'm a horrible driver. I've been driving for 4 years, probably ~60k miles, and no wrecks.

I don't think that makes me any less of a horrible driver. My family refuses to ride with me.

So, can wrecks really be used as the variable of choice?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im probably in the top 2% of good drivers worldwide.

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of drivers do you figure to be 'good' drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

1% [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So on what basis do you figure you are in the top 2% of the 1% of good drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The basis is the fact that I am posting in OOT and what better place to make wild, unverifiable claims? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:42 PM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

surely 150,000. zero wrecks.

and i've dodged many inidents too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

hey, how fast have you ever gone? i hit 125 mph a couple times.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:45 PM

3 out of 60 posts admitting to being a terrible driver. That's actually more than I thought.

My father has been driving for 50 years and has never been in an accident. He is atrocious, possibly the worst driver I have ever seen. # of wrecks mean nothing.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:50 PM

But I was happy at ahving outplayed him [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm average at best. I was dire after spending a long time on motorbikes, and then having to go back to cars. Took about 4 years to get back to being an average car driver. Just positioned, reacted like a bike rider, and so really sucked for other road users.

No accidents in a car though, ever.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:52 PM

OJ would have gotten away. and I drive a '91 Corolla.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM

What makes one a good driver is knowing what makes others bad drivers.

A bad driver doesn't have a plan; he merely responds to the stimulus in front of him. A bad driver doesn't know what lane he needs to be in for an upcoming turn, and changes lanes at the last minute.

A bad driver is unaware of the traffic around him. He sits in the left lane of the highway, not noticing the long line behind him. He isn't concerned about what the traffic in front of the car in front of him is doing. A bad driver never knows if the lanes to his left and right are clear.

A bad driver doesn't think about how his actions signal intention, or of how those signals will affect where others drive. He won't use his turn signals because he knows where he's going, what does anyone else care? A bad driver entering a highway thinks that it is the responsibility of those already on the road to make room for him.

A bad driver isn't aware of how lights cycle, so he'll either be speeding to a light that's going to turn red before he gets there, or slowing down traffic to a light that's seconds away from turning green. He'll sit patiently waiting for a light to change, yet when the time gets close THAT'S when he decides to pick up the newspaper and read another paragraph.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What makes one a good driver is knowing what makes others bad drivers.

A bad driver doesn't have a plan; he merely responds to the stimulus in front of him. A bad driver doesn't know what lane he needs to be in for an upcoming turn, and changes lanes at the last minute.

A bad driver is unaware of the traffic around him. He sits in the left lane of the highway, not noticing the long line behind him. He isn't concerned about what the traffic in front of the car in front of him is doing. A bad driver never knows if the lanes to his left and right are clear.

A bad driver doesn't think about how his actions signal intention, or of how those signals will affect where others drive. He won't use his turn signals because he knows where he's going, what does anyone else care? A bad driver entering a highway thinks that it is the responsibility of those already on the road to make room for him.

A bad driver isn't aware of how lights cycle, so he'll either be speeding to a light that's going to turn red before he gets there, or slowing down traffic to a light that's seconds away from turning green. He'll sit patiently waiting for a light to change, yet when the time gets close THAT'S when he decides to pick up the newspaper and read another paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.

Being aware of your surroundings is one of the most important aspects of safe driving. I have actually avoided quite a few accidents just by recognizing what is going on around me.

I [censored] hate oblivious soccer mom, "Support our Troops", SUV driving types. They really piss me off while I'm driving. Anyone else?

After almost 5 years of driving, (yes I speed and weave) I have never had an accident or gotten a ticket. I attribute this to always being aware of my surroundings and constantly scanning all mirrors and the road ahead of me.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm probably the best driver here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah!
Du hast es nicht recht!