Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!
Default Turn play

UTG is weak-tight over 150 hands (10/8/ 26 WTSD)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.66 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>,

Taking the free SD and folding to 3.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Turn play

I like it. If he folds he's likely making a mistake getting 8 to 1. If he 3-bets I think you have an easy fold
Old 11-03-2005, 01:38 AM

1. Why not 3-bet the turn?

2. I think you can fold this turn. Given UTG's stats and the pf raise, what hands are you ahead of in his range? I think that 77 and 99 are the only possibilities. Was your thinking that he might fold QQ or JJ in this spot? I think that folding the turn is the right play. That being said, I like the free showdown play better than calling down.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. If he folds he's likely making a mistake getting 8 to 1. If he 3-bets I think you have an easy fold

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you put him on that he would fold here? QQ,JJ, and a total bluff (eg KQ) are the only ones I see.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:26 AM

Three betting the flop is another option.
Either way, villain will be seeing the turn though. If he has air, i can charge him an extra sb on the turn by popping him there. However, given my read, i thought it was unlikely he would c/r me with nothing, so i put his range at 77-JJ/ A8. Some of those hands i beat, some I don't, all (except the other 1010) have outs.

I figured the ace was a good scare card to raise the turn with b/c i do have fold equity against 1010/ JJ and will charge 77/99 the maximum to call for their OESD/ gutshot. He also could be (although much less likely) on KQ/ KJ/ QJ and will have to fold his 6 outs on the turn. It's an easy turn fold to a three bet.

One benefit of three betting the flop and betting the turn is that i get to showdown for one less sb.

Any other thoughts?

Maybe this play was somewhat standard or uninteresting.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:53 AM

good play. Villian could have 99 or 77 but probably has you beat. Still you had an overpair,you aren't folding and the Ace probably didn't help him so this is not only the correct application of this play but probably the most perfect spot to use it, imo.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM

Good to see a fellow Deac posting. I really like this play, given his PT stats, I would say his most likely holding would be a JJ,which he would fold. To a lesser extent probably could see 88,99,QQ, KK. Just out of curiosity what was his aggression factor and how did the hand play out?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:51 AM

can't recall his exact aggression (in class right now). It was probably b/t 2-3. He rivered a gut shot with 99 and missed the c/r.

Check your pm for the Wake part.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:49 AM

I liked ur play but I think it was a little too tricky on the flop. Id have stuck a reraise in there. I usually checkraise to indicate more strength than i have and to find out where im at. Your play actually really gives me something to think about as I never run into it at the limits I play .5/1 but if i were him id have folded the turn with my 99 so in essence it was the right play. All in all I dont think these subtle plays are needed for weak tight players. A flop reraise should tell u where ur at as they are generally very easy to read. Once he check raised if hes very strong hell figure his cover is blown and go ahead and stick in a reraise with a set or 2 pair. when he just calls u can bet the ace and still take a free showdown. Hope my opinion helps