Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Accounts emptied

I have recently discovered and reported unauthorised transactions in 2 of my bookmaker accounts.

In both cases, my full balance was transferred to the bookmaker's poker site and the amount lost.

At this stage both companies will check the IP address of the computer used in the transaction and the log of the game(s) "played". (I assume this is to see if it was just malicious (i.e. someone just wanted to empty my account) or an attempt at financial gain (by dumping chips to an accomplice at the same table).

As both accounts had the same username/password it seems likely that someone has discovered these details and used them to access my account.

I am interested in finding out if anyone here has suffered a similar problem and what the eventual outcome was.

Or if anyone can point me in the direction of a source of information on this topic.

I need to establish if I need to take any further action (independently of the bookmakers concerned) to try to recover these funds.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Accounts emptied

I've never had this problem, but I have some advice. There are three possiblities that I can see:

1. Someone you know or who has physical access to your computer is to blame
2. You have spyware such a keystroke logger on your computer. If you don't already have anti virus, firewall and antispyware software, GET IT.
3. Someone with access to the bookmaker's site (employee, other), got your details.

IP is everything here. You can find the geographic location of the IP by typing it in here.

If the IP is close you have your answer, if not it's likely 2 or 3.

If you don't have it already, get microsoft antispyware (free), run a search on your system. Also get lavasoft adaware and spybot search and destroy. You may just find a keystroke logger. If so I'm not sure where you stand with regards to getting your money back. Also for the future get a firewall, you can enter privacy data (such as your password/banking details) so you will be warned when it is being transmitted over the internet.

If you're clean on these fronts it's probably their fault. Explain what software you run, your history etc and they should credit your account.

If the IP is local, you can contact the ISP who owns the IP and explain your situation. If they're not forthcoming, your only recourse is to contact the police. Faxing a copy of the police report may help get your account re credited - in most cases I've heard of they'll refund honest victims.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:46 AM

My daughters' bf lost ~5800$ on Party. He logged on, his account was empty. Party has been very little help so far...he has hired a lawyer. He has a firewall...no one else has his info...all very strange. So far Party has told him his funds were transfered into a US bank account. Strange that the account was not frozen by Pay Pro, since the guy has only made transactions thru Neteller previously.

Crap like this happens and has prompted me to keep minimum $ on any 1 site.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My daughters' bf lost ~5800$ on Party. He logged on, his account was empty. Party has been very little help so far...he has hired a lawyer. He has a firewall...no one else has his info...all very strange. So far Party has told him his funds were transfered into a US bank account. Strange that the account was not frozen by Pay Pro, since the guy has only made transactions thru Neteller previously.

Crap like this happens and has prompted me to keep minimum $ on any 1 site.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you don't like your daughters boyfriend huh? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]That should teach him a thing or two.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:42 PM

Actually I told him to get the info from Party as to the transaction etc. So far Party has only stated that his funds were transfered to a US bank account, and that they are looking into it further...its been 3 weeks...nothing further from Party apparently...
Old 08-30-2005, 01:48 PM

That's absurd. Don't all cashouts have to be "approved"? He should have gotten an email saying that there was a cashout being processed.

+ if im gonna hijack a party account, why risk your neck for $500?

All sounds odd.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 PM

Reged: 08/28/05

why do u guys always take these seriously?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reged: 08/28/05

why do u guys always take these seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

And Screen Name "Just4Fun"
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM

i was speaking with regards to Eder.

OH - and it was 5800, my bad.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:26 PM

Yes unfortunately my story is true...if it ever gets settled I will post an update...