Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 11:56 PM

Default NUTFLOPPER

About a year ago, one of my Mirage pals coined the term "nutflopper" for a person that (obviously) has flopped the nuts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I was a nutflopper twice yesterday [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On the first hand, I held K,Q clubs in the sb with a flop of 9, 10, J (2 spades). It was a nice flop with a nice pot developing (6 players for 2 bets preflop). I bet the flop and there were 2 callers and then the button (original preflop raiser) raised. I promptly 3 bet and the 2 callers folded. I put in the 7th (yes, 7th) raise on the flop before button boy stopped raising. I bet the turn and river when non-nutmaking cards appeared.. One pal said I was overly "nutty" on the flop. Comments, please?

In hand two, I held A,Q offsuit in the sb. There were 2 limpers and a raise from a late position steamer. Though I would often fold my hand in that spot to a "non steamer", I 3 bet this time to get the bb out and to try to get heads up with the steamer. One limper called as did the steamer so we were 3 handed to the flop of Q,Q,Q. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I bet out and was called in both places. The turn was a 5 and I checked. The river was a non-flush making Ace. I bet and prayed for a raise. Standard?

LGPG,

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 12:09 AM

Default Re: NUTFLOPPER

First hand, I would have been just as nutty. That flop makes it easy for an action-killing card to come on the turn. And sometimes when you keep raising with the nuts on the flop, they'll be very sure you couldn't possibly have the nuts, since you would have slow-played at some point.

Second hand, I would never give up A-Q from the sb against a late position raiser, steaming or cool. I'd have to have a specific reason not to 3-bet and, off-hand, I can't think of one. I've decided that when I flop quads I'm always going to bet the flop and check the turn. Hardly worth worrying about, as often as it happens, but that's what I'm going to do.

Regards,
Andy
Old 11-07-2004, 01:00 AM

NH's Babe

See you next week. I'll be in Tues.

Hand 1 I might stop before 7 bets, just in case the other fellow is freerollong. And I'm with Andy, bet the flop, check the turn in hand 2.
Old 11-07-2004, 02:01 AM

[1] You could have slow played and won a smaller pot.

[2] You fold AQ against a LPR? Are you nuts? 3-betting is routine. Anyway ... Yes, but the flop and check the turn is much better than checking the flop and betting the turn. Then check the river. If they didn't have enough to bet the turn (no full house) then either they missed the river and won't call (but may bluff), or they hit the A and MAY raise but WILL bet if you check.

- Louie
Old 11-07-2004, 02:50 AM

Babe,

You know i love you, but overly nutty may be appropriate in the first hand.

I think 5 bets is the limit and then go to work on the turn and the river when friendly blanks appear for you. I like 7 bets on the river exactly twice as much as 7 on the flop, but i am sure that you knew the situation, NH btw!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

On the 2nd hand I LOVE the flop bet and yes the rest seems standard to me, I hope all is well and I will be in touch soon I promise.

take care---J.Brown
Old 11-07-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand two, I held A,Q offsuit in the sb. There were 2 limpers and a raise from a late position steamer. Though I would often fold my hand in that spot to a "non steamer"

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my God. Say it ain't so. All that expensive perfume damaging your brain cells? That is 3 bet city in pretty much EVERY game I play in. I know you're a tight player, but that is ...... well...... even too weak tight for you.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Re:AQ to Louie and bunky

Hi Bunky and Louie. I actually meant to say i would fold AQ in the sb to a "real rasier" (i.e.,someone raising from ep }. LGPG,

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re:AQ to Louie and bunky

Whew. now I feel better. Gotta put you back up on the pedestal now. Sorry I missed you when I went to Vegas. next time.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:16 PM

I don't throw that AQ away quite as easily as you do, but I three bet with it pretty often against all but the rockiest of rocks.

I would be a smidge concerned about a freeroll in the KQ hand, but what the hey... people are so bad these days you might as well just keep betting it. Be concerned about the freeroll only if it's a player who you KNOW won't SIX bet without the nuts (same as you).

al