Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 01:37 PM

Default Re: SB local vs. the Midwest Guy

Pairs TT-KK. You've got your call right there.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:40 PM

No one asked me but unless I'm confident I can c/r, I'm betting out. Checkcalling I am not.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pairs TT-KK. You've got your call right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see a lot of weak players limping with JJ and TT in this game. They don't limp with JJ because they've read Mason's thoughtful analysis; they limp because they think it's a mediocre hand.
Old 07-20-2004, 02:56 PM

I don't think its a bad laydown at all with aces. The guy probably told himself in his head after the flop action something like "I am calling this down now unless a 9 or a spade falls, if that happens I drop" And he stuck to his reads and dropped. You have to remember he folded with BB still to act - BB could have Called too or checkraised.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 PM

Well, it's unlikely that tourist limped preflop with JJ (or any other big pair that some others have suggested).

But he is said to be a weak playing non-bluffing tourist. Maybe he does limp with JJ. But if so, I doubt he bets JJ on the river given the 9 and the possible flush.

Overall, given the description of the player, sb could have correctly folded on the turn or river. But the situation is so player specific that the hand has no educational value.

In other words, the fold may be right against this guy. I don't know - I wasn't there and it's hard to know exactly what a "weak playing non-bluffing tourist" means. But it's certainly not right to play Aces in this manner absent a highly reliable read on your opponent which I guess is your point as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:10 PM

I really wish you and Clark would STFU about this.

Well, I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't acutally played any poker since August 1989.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:07 PM

What could BB have called with that beat sb's hand? BB didn't bet the turn and just called when the 3rd player bet.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:46 PM

I don't know - a 9 possibly - or a slowplay - who knows - im just saying you cannot disregard the fact there is another player in the pot...
Old 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

To answer andyfox's question, the bb had A,K with the Ace of spades.

The Midwest guy had K,2 spades.

Our hero getting over 10-1 on the river shut down primarily because there was both a 3 flush AND a paired board.

He was pretty sure that he had the bb beat and was pretty sure the bb would call preflop only with a good Ace or large pocket pair.

When sb ran the hand back, he was mostly concerned with Midwest calling 2 cold after the flop was bet and raised. When bb checked on the turn, sb knew he was still ahead of him and correctly put him on the nut flush draw.

The fact that Midwest bet the river despite the paired board gave sb the info he needed to fold. He agonized over this for a bit, and so I posted it on his behalf.

Thanks to all for the commments.

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

P.S. skp's point about this hand being non-instructive due to the specificity of the players involved is not really correct. I think that is exactly why this hand is instructive.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. skp's point about this hand being non-instructive due to the specificity of the players involved is not really correct. I think that is exactly why this hand is instructive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah, upon reflection, I don't disagree.