Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: SB local vs. the Midwest Guy

[ QUOTE ]
There's no way I'm folding an overpair on the river for one bet in a large pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was good meeting you SCG. i shoulda stayed with ya at the 4/8 instead of making all those insanely +EV plays at NL only to lose time and time again. man that hurt. at least i got to take it out on THE urinal though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

with respect to this fold, not you nor i would ever consider it...but then again we ain't MRs and don't suffer their affliction.

-Barron
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 PM

River: fold is bad as Ed says; couldn't Midwest have a pocket pair?

Turn: SB is facing one bet and getting 8-1 odds at this point. I think the pot is large enough to protect even at some risk, and I would favor a check-raise here by the SB (given that he checked. Betting out would have been fine too). SB probably still has the best hand at this point, and if he gets the BB to fold a mediocre spade draw/mediocre pair combo he has done a good deed for the day;-)
Old 07-20-2004, 01:15 PM

So SB put the tourist on a 9 or thought BB had a 9 and was getting ready to raise the river bet? May be the tourist had As9x I guess. May be BB had the Ace of spades and wanted to bump the tourist off on the flop and get to the river for free. May be the tourist had 96o. If tourist was non-bluffing and weak, does that mean he had a flush on the flop? Or does that mean he can't see past his set to see that there is a real flush possibility out there? I think SB should have, at minimum, called the river. May be 3-bet the flop and see how BB and tourist handled that. Then he can check-fold, bet, or check-raise the turn. If the BB 4-bets and tourist calls or re-raises, he can fold. If tourist folds, he can go into check-call mode.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:18 PM

It seems to me that it's probably silly to talk in terms of absolutes. Dude's a tourist ... plays weakly ... probably *disinclined* to bluff ... but geez, if you have the ace of spades in your hand, it's really hard *not* to bet if it's checked around to you on the turn, and damn near impossible not to bet the river when a scare card comes, the pot is big, and you're up against two opponents who seem to have lost any interest in the hand. It's not like the dude demonstrated some uncanny level of aggression in the face of fierce resistance - he cold called, and then bet when checked to. Even a yokel can figure that one out.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:19 PM

SB should have led again on the turn, I think it would define the other two's hands better. River....if Midwest guys is really weak enough that he won't bet without the flush or a 9 then ok fold, but I'd have to be pretty sure of my read to fold with 10 bets in there.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:20 PM

I really wish you and Clark would STFU about this.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I think SB played brilliantly. That's good solid poker right there, boys and girls.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I think SB played brilliantly. That's good solid poker right there, boys and girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note to self:

Ignore all Clarkmeister posts after 5298.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Thank you.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 PM

Default Off-topic to DcifrThs

[ QUOTE ]
it was good meeting you SCG. i shoulda stayed with ya at the 4/8 instead of making all those insanely +EV plays at NL only to lose time and time again.

[/ QUOTE ]

After about 12 Coronas, I started spraying chips also. Don't ever try to bluff-raise a calling station on the river in a 4/8 game.