Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2004, 05:02 PM

Default Easy Call or Easy Fold?

Babe went down to Binion's (Harrah's) Horseshoe today to try her luck at the 2 tier no limit satellites for the WSOP.

For those who are unfamiliar with the structure, it's a 2 table freeze out, with the winner receiving a WSOP entry to the no-limit final event).

The buy in for the first satellite is 125 with no rebuys. You get 1K in tournament chips. If you win the first table, you receive 1K in tournament chips and 120.00 in cash. These can be used to enter the 2nd table tournament (1030) on the following Saturday, or you can just sell the tourney chips for cash.

Here is the first hand of the tournament. Checked to 2UTG who limps for a 25.00 chip. Next player raises to 100.00. I am next with QQ and make it 500.00 . Folded to the 100 "raiser" who now goes all in.

Uh oh.....

Easy fold or Easy Call?

LGPG,

Babe
Old 04-09-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Easy Call or Easy Fold?

No.

Since you have 1/2 your stack in already, you need to call, but that doesn't make it easy.

I would guess that these are loose enough that you will be ahead as much as you are behind, and facing AK is not bad. However, these could be tight enough that you are almost always facing AA or KK, which makes it a fold, though you aren't making a big mistake by calling even then.

Craig
Old 04-09-2004, 05:38 PM

Well you're almost certainly facing AA or KK and you aren't getting the odds to call so I say easy fold.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM

two points that i don't think anybody has mentioned yet:

hourly rate considerations. even if folding is the right move in terms of satellite EV, it still may be incorrect, given that i assume that if you bust you can jump right into another satellite or ring game.

the fact that the satellite is winner take all. if you fold, leaving yourself with 500, it is very unlikely that you will win the event outright, and limping into 3rd place does you no good. whereas doubling up here will greatly increase your chances of winning.

i would definitely call here.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:03 PM

I'm thinking she is more likely facing a maniac with a small PP or KQo or some such garbage. I guess I play too many $5 and $10 tourneys but I call.

[ QUOTE ]
Well you're almost certainly facing AA or KK and you aren't getting the odds to call so I say easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-10-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Easy Call or Easy Fold? RESULTS

This was a real exciting start to my day [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I did think for a few seconds about folding, but I called. I was 90% sure I was beat btf by AA and he did have aces.

My thoughts were ok, well I either double up or do something else if I lose.

I thought I had to take a stand since the pot is laying 3-1. I don't want to be pushed off an exceptional hand in the first hand, either, so in my stack went.

Of course, I still have those 2 outs, eh? LOL. The board offered no help.

I think my preflop raise got me in trouble by being too large. Once I am put to the all-in test, I have to call. If I had raised only 300ish, then I am not so "pot committed".

Thanks to all for the feedback

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-12-2004, 09:29 AM

Well babe it does seem as if you ran into AA or KK here. However, given how much you bet, I would consider this...

Do you know anything about the limp-reraiser? If he's solid, then you can probably fold safely. If you know nothing of him, I'd probably call. There are too many "WPT trained experts" out there these days making "big plays." You're getting a bit better than 3:1 on your call. If he's got AA, you're a 4.5:1 dog, so that's no good. But if the margin of doubt is enough for you to make up the difference, then call.

You were faced with a tough choice. I hope you "chose wisely."

al
Old 04-12-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Easy Call or Easy Fold? RESULTS

Tough break. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I think you're right about what you did wrong, though.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:00 PM

While AA and KK are definite possibilities here, I don't see how anybody can completely discount the possibility of AK. Your opponent has AK often enough to make calling while getting better than 3-1 correct.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While AA and KK are definite possibilities here, I don't see how anybody can completely discount the possibility of AK. Your opponent has AK often enough to make calling while getting better than 3-1 correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. One thing to keep in mind is that from the opponent's perspective, if he does have AK then he should probably fold when the action gets back to him, but moving in is better than calling.