Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Played with a skirt- or, ARRGGHH!!

I've been in Vegas since Sat visiting my folks and playing of course. Met up with Pokerbabe yesterday at the Mirage. We ended up in the same 20/40 game which was fun and a repeat of last May when she, Tommy and I all played in the same game. Game selection was better this time though b/c there were several soft spots in this game.

This hand occurred after Pokerbabe had racked up for the day. My reads have been dead on for the last few months- not that they were bad before but I think the combination of a) playing primarily online, six games at once these days, and now being able to focus my efforts on a single game, and b) playing mostly pot limit when I play in a B+M setting, have both helped my reading abilities. With that as a context...

A semi aggressive woman with poor starting hands open limps in early. All fold to me in middle, I raise with AKo. SB (a tight regular who I've encountered before, if he's observant at all he should remember me b/c I remember him) calls. Lady calls.

Flop comes what should be a dream for me- AK10, two tone. However, SB bets right out. This guy should know that I would like that flop. Furthermore, even if he likes it too, he has to REALLY like it to lead right into me. I suspect there's a good chance I'm already behind, but he could have AK himself, or A10. He doesn't have K10. The woman I put on no better than a weak ace. She calls and I just call, with the intention of getting to a showdown as cheap as possible.

Turn is an offsuit six. The woman perceptibly sits up straighter. ARGGG DON'T RAISE PLEASE DON'T RAISE YOU DON'T HAVE THE BEST HAND MAAM. SB bets again, further confirming my read. Now the woman raises as expected. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] A lot of times I make it 120$ here. Now I don't even want to call 80$. I put the woman on A6 suited, grit my teeth and call 80$, hoping the sb will just call the raise (which would rule out QJ). No such luck- he makes it 120$. The woman calls and I call with my probable 3 outer.

River is no help. SB leads one more time, woman calls and I crying call. In fact I am shown QJ. The woman has A6, but it's offsoot.

A question-
The skirt component- I felt it was ok this time given my very strong read on SB. Of course, there was a chance he had A10 or AK. There was no need, and probably no way to raise the woman out. No need b/c I have her drawing nearly dead, having already flopped top two. No way b/c, well, there was no way. Clearly I normally pound top two way more than this- but anyone play it differently than me if they have the same read? Remember, I might be ahead here but it's dangerous for sure.

The arrghh component. How frustrating to have a line on your aggressor (SB), AND pick up something on the other player, only to have just that much more of an indication that things aren't going to go your way. I really didn't want the lady to raise the turn. I suppose I could have mucked top two on the turn rather than call 80$ cold, and then a probable 40$ more but given that I put SB on some hands I could beat or chop with it was a problematic laydown. Knowing the woman has A6 in the heat of battle at least tells me I have 3 outs to beat QJ instead of 4, if in fact that is what sb has. ARGHH.

Opinions? This was a wierd one.

Leon