Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2005, 03:30 PM

Default What\'s my next step?

I've long admired the guys on this forum and now I am asking for serious help. I've always been transparent with my life so with nothing to hide, here goes: As I've said before I have a very successful career on the surface and make lots of $. I have for some time, however, wanted to drop this career and venture out as a professional poker player. This isn't another "leave my job" post however...That's the easy part. My problem is taking that next step as a poker player to propel myself to the top. I make $$ just about every time I play. I play moderate stakes and pretty much clean up. I know I can play higher stakes but I never bring myself to step up and do it. My day goes like this: Get my ass up, go to work and face a maddening day at the office with various meetings. Get home tired as chit, walk dog, do dishes and then sit at the CPU for some poker time. I play 3 days a week (this is starting to sound like a Raymer commercial). I don't like to stay up late because I gotta get up early next day so I play like 4 hrs two nights a week and 8-9 hrs on Sunday. Making $30/hr is really no biggie for me but I could easily triple that if I had a pep coach who made me get my lazy ass into gear. I just turned 30 yesterday and now I'm starting to feel my dream slip away if I don't act on it. I've got to pull my lazy ass together, step up in limits, and risk losing everything now by quitting this job and hitting the life of a pro or it may never happen. I know that I easily have the talent and drive for the game and have studied it carefully for 2 years. When I watch the pros on tv I see so many mistakes that I myself would never make. How do I take this next step in life?

Indy