Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2004, 02:06 AM

Default Would you have slowed down??

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players) </font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players) </font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, SB calls.

River: (19.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players) </font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 27.50 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 27.50 BB, between Hero and MP1.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (27.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 7h 7s (full house, sevens full of jacks).
MP1 shows Jh Jd (four of a kind, jacks).
Outcome: MP1 wins 27.50 BB. </font>

Your input appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2004, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Would you have slowed down??

Guess i should add some more information.

Firstly this guy played some real gems for hands. Secondly, he was getting absolutely drilled by the deck the entire session, in 57 hands in the session PT says he hit trips or better 5 times with his PPs ironically As the only ones which lost. 2 paired low pairs on the river runner runner flushes all the fun stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2004, 02:40 AM

Never slow down for fear of quads. Well played. Tough luck.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:40 AM

Nope never. I hope you were posting this because you're mad not because you were actually considering the idea of slowing down.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:57 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

What are you putting him on when he 3 bets the turn? It's obvious you have a set or at least 2 pair after 'the wake up and c/r' move on the turn.

Has he been grossly overplaying his hands on the turn? If not, im slowing down after he 3 bets me.

Then he doesnt slow down on the river at all. Same question as above.

b
Old 05-02-2004, 12:31 PM

Flop CR reasonable but the slow-play is NOT reasonable. If he has no pair there isn't much money to be made from him later; but you can certainly get a 1sb bet if you raise AND you may get additional money if he's willing to chase over-cards on the turn. If he HAS a pair he's sure to 3-bet and THEN you can slow-play and get your raise in on the turn anyway. You are in great position vis-a-vis the raiser and the callers: if he calls you've trapped the other players; if he 3-bets you've trapped him. In typical loose LL games you want to get as much money in on the flop as possible since folks LIKE to call "one time" trying to make something: there is more money to be made charging them to draw then there is in getting in a raise when they DO snag their long shot; and of course some of those long-shots outdraw you. Bet'em when you've got'em.

And ... if you DO raise are you really giving away the strength of your hand? Or are you giving it away by slow-playing? If you CR the flop he's likely to put you on a J, and will either 3-bet if he can beat Jacks or call trying to beat you; as will the other players.

Do not auto-slow play.

Anyway ... you seem to be failing to put the player on a hand AND failing to have him put YOU on a hand. Your play is only reasonable if you think he'd raise PF with 55 or 22 AND he's so brain dead that he won't fear JacksFull on the river. Otherwise you over-played it.

- Louie
Old 05-02-2004, 02:50 PM

The reason for the slow play was this. I knew he was betting/raise out the flop. If i bet he raised suddenly everyone else is facing 2 bets to call when essentially with their overs they are drawing dead. In my opinion i was going to get the most in by letting them but in 1 SB on the flop and 1 more BB on the turn before i raised.

Had he been in late position and me early i would have bet out because they all would have had the chance to call 1 bet before the raise.

I did not fail to put him on a hand. I put him on a range of hands of which the only one i could not possibly beat was JJ. And the J on the river made it alot less likely he was holding JJ in his hand because 2 of the Js were already accounted for.
Old 05-02-2004, 05:19 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I did not fail to put him on a hand. I put him on a range of hands of which the only one i could not possibly beat was JJ. And the J on the river made it alot less likely he was holding JJ in his hand because 2 of the Js were already accounted for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, was he maniacal? Did he generally overplay overpairs/top pair on the turn? Im curious as to what hands your putting him on where he gives no ground on the turn, nor the river. 2 pair doesnt enter the equation unless he's known as a very loose raiser.

Forget the river, what are you putting him on on the turn that'd hed go to war over?

b