Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: A note on the idea of WAWB

[ QUOTE ]
3) Here's a closer situation. You have KK vs a complete maniac. Let's say his stats are 50/30/2. The flop comes AA2. There could be an argument made for check/calling, but I think because his hand range is so large, you need to make sure more than 2.5 BBs go in postflop. If he shows you ace-trash-offsuit, oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your off here, and this is a great WAWB line against a LAG. His hand range preflop is less important than his postflop willingness to call down raises with low pocket pairs or undercards. It might depend on your definition of maniac, but relatively few are going to give more action when a TAG "us" raises a board when we very likely could have the hand we represent. I think it might be close even if you took away the possibility the maniac had an trip aces. Just the times he misses, you will make more money letting him try and bet you off. The only move I might try would be leading the turn or river and letting him try and blow you off a hand. Any real sign of strength doesn't accomplish much IMO.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
3) Here's a closer situation. You have KK vs a complete maniac. Let's say his stats are 50/30/2. The flop comes AA2. There could be an argument made for check/calling, but I think because his hand range is so large, you need to make sure more than 2.5 BBs go in postflop. If he shows you ace-trash-offsuit, oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your off here, and this is a great WAWB line against a LAG. His hand range preflop is less important than his postflop willingness to call down raises with low pocket pairs or undercards. It might depend on your definition of maniac, but relatively few are going to give more action when a TAG "us" raises a board when we very likely could have the hand we represent. I think it might be close even if you took away the possibility the maniac had an trip aces. Just the times he misses, you will make more money letting him try and bet you off. The only move I might try would be leading the turn or river and letting him try and blow you off a hand. Any real sign of strength doesn't accomplish much IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think a 50/30/2 is only going to give you action with an ace? I think he'll give you action with more pairs and sometimes even just air.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always cringe when people talk about WA/WB when there are two flush draws out in a multiway pot on the turn.

While we're enlightening the populous, could we all please learn to use the words "number" and "amount" correctly.

Examples:
I have played a large number of hands.
I have <font color="red"> drank </font> a large amount of water.

Basically, if you can attach a number to your unit of measurement, use number, otherwise use amount. You can play 500 hands, but you cannot have 500 water.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we're "enlightening the populous", quoting someone else's post, while adding no commentary of your own, is dumb and wastes other readers' time.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Too funny here. Seriously. Totally seriously you guys.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:35 AM

No comment needed.

Great post btw. running bad?

nh

ToT
Old 11-23-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always cringe when people talk about WA/WB when there are two flush draws out in a multiway pot on the turn.

While we're enlightening the populous, could we all please learn to use the words "number" and "amount" correctly.

Examples:
I have <font color="red"> drank </font> a large amount of water.

Basically, if you can attach a number to your unit of measurement, use number, otherwise use amount. You can play 500 hands, but you cannot have 500 water.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as we're "enlightening the populous", quoting someone else's post, while adding no commentary of your own, is dumb and wastes other readers' time.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think he was just highlighting the mistake in the middle of one of the nittiest posts in history.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:58 AM

This is where I should mention how I am in a constant fight with my local supermarket that they change

12 items or less

to

12 items or fewer

For more fun, see the further/farther hilarity in "Finding Forrester."

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-23-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Examples:
I have drank a large amount of water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we also get the difference between less and fewer right as well?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Default A very important WAWB concept

...IMHO, is when it's a scoop for you to have your opponent fold in relation to the potsize. This can be anything all the way down to 4 outs, if the the pot is big enough. 6 outs qualifies often. I saw someone refer 9-9 on a K-4-4 board after heavy preflop action as a WAWB situation. People need to should that forcing out a six-outer here would be a MAJOR victory.

WAWB situations are usually when opponent if behind and given a free or cheap card is likely to be drawing to just a couple of outs at best, and the risk/loss of giving him that chance on the cheap will usually be recouped by more profitable river action in the long run.

Lars

lars