Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Have you paid taxes on your winnings this year?
I paid. 5 20.00%
I opted not to pay. 9 36.00%
I didn't win enough to pay taxes. 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 AM

Default Re: My Reason and Phillips Poll

Nothing wrong with Paul's initial posting, and the request for private and public apology was ridiculous and childish.

2+2 loses more by chasing the professionals off over petty nonsense than the players being banned / antagonized.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you can't unfuck a sheep.

[/ QUOTE ]

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter, so I'm not going to bother voting. Keep him banned, unban him, really doesn't make a difference.

I do think it's a little absurd to characterize Phillips' comment in the original post as a "personal attack". I believe his exact words were, "This Dynasty fellow only adds fuel to the fire..." Pretty far from what I'd consider to be a personal attack. Now Vehn's final post on here, that was a personal attack.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:47 AM

I'm not going to read the thread so this is probably been said before but here it goes anyway:

Paul Phillips won't come back, if you unban him he will likely make another post mocking you and the site and be done with it.

If this site and it's owners actually decide they want PP back they'll probably going to have to apologize to him, wich doesn't seem likely.

Basically my point is: I don't understand the point of this thread, you make it seem like it's our decision, it isn't, it's Paul Phillips'.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:57 AM

I don't know the whole story....but having been a fan of Paul and his blog...

I was doing fine till this comment -

[ QUOTE ]

I am very sorry to the forum that you're stuck with mason and the rest of the hitler youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

to my way of thinking - that whole "Compare people you disagree with to Nazis" is the argument of a weak mind - and almost always the last refuge of a scoundral.

If it hadn't been for that I'd say let him back in, but I ain't seen him for months anyways, I can read his blog, and I don't think we're missing much if all he can do is compare moderators on a private forum to Nazis. - and mindless ones, at that - (the Hitler Youth weren't known for logical thinking)

There are people in the world to whom the argument is valid and applies, and it's not necessary in this case.

He pretty much made his own bed and lay down in it anyways....why not just let sleeping dogs lie and get back to the business of being the best poker forum in the world.

RB
Old 11-10-2005, 06:44 AM

5 year olds pass notes to each other under the desk, grown men do not. Say sorry and you can play with us, it just reminds me of the playground so much. If I ever did anything this bad, I would definitely be man enough to admit to Phillips that I was wrong and apologise for the fact.

I doubt it will matter now what they do, they [censored] the bed and blamed it on the blanket, in a manner of speaking.

Mack
Old 11-10-2005, 07:05 AM

Default wishful thinking... *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dynasty
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phillips is allowed back

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-10-2005, 09:27 AM

With all due respect Mason, this poll is a waste of time. Paul Phillips will not come back regardless of the results imo.

The whole affair was botched badly at the point where you sent him the PM. I doubt very much if you would have sent me a PM if I had been the OP instead of PP. I don't excuse the Nazi references but you had to know he would react badly to the PM. You egged him on.

After Mat deleted the thread and admitted deleting the whole thread was a mistake, that should have been the end of it. You should have just called Phillips bluff when he said that if any of his posts were deleted that would be his last post and done nothing. If he wasn't bluffing, so be it.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: wishful thinking...

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Paul P--

The more I look into it, the more I realize this was a misunderstanding. I probably shouldn't have demanded a public apology without at least reading your original post. Sorry about that.

If 2+2 got rid of every brilliant analytical poker player who had occasional moments of self-righteousness and lack of tact, who'd be left to write the books, right?

Anyway, we'd be glad to have you back on the forums, though it's important to note we didn't think your Nazi joke was appropriate, so you'd have to put a lid that kind of stuff.

You should also know that the decision to write this was made on my own. I decided not to even look at the results of that silly poll I put on the website, and just do what I think is right.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

That's beautiful. I considered posting what would have been an appropriate initial response from Mason and an appropriate reply to that response from PP, but fortunately both of them checked ego at the door and discussed the matter in a genuine and sincere manner.

(sw, in case you missed it)

Furthermore, as you pointed out, this poll is nothing more than an attempt by 2+2 to avoid taking responsibility for their own part in this ridiculous situation. Leaving it up to the readers = avoiding facing the consequences of your own actions.

Rather, 2+2 should (as a whole) man up and apologize to Paul while making it clear that they were offended by his initial retort. Making his banishment the result of a poll is beyond ludicrous. My $0.02.

Jeff
Old 11-10-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Expected Value

Mason et al,

Seriously, I thought you guys were smart guys here. In all your study of Expected Value, haven't you come across the truth that it doesn't merely apply to money in gambling situations?

Respectfully, picking a fight with Paul Phillips was most certainly -EV. It will surely cost you readership in the forms of successful poker players. Allow me to be the first.

guinevar
Closed Thread