Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Pot Control

Pot Control is a term that I see used here a lot and a little in the no lim holdem section but Im not sure I fully understand its meaning and how it affects decisions. Can anyone help me out please?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM

Default Re: Pot Control

here's an example of pot control

you're playing PLO, and you flop top set with a board of

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

If you bet the pot, you advertise your hand and you'll get called by the big draws anyway.

If the turn completes a straight or flush and doesnt pair the board, you can fold fairly easily if you are faced with a big bet from the right kind of opponent. But if the board pairs, your opponents wont necessarily think you have the nut full, and, if the turn is a non- straight non-flush card, and you bet the pot, most players are less likely to call a potsized bet with one to come unless there hand warrants it. In this particular situation, the best play would be to make a half pot sized bet so that on the turn you havent gotten yourself commited, and it you fill up, you can make a lot of money with the correct sized turn bet or check, what have you.

that's just one example, but it's manipulating odds and pot size into your favor, basically.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Pot Control

It is what it is, namely, controlling the size of the pot.

Uusally it means acting in a way that dictates whether and when the pot reaches the commitment point. By commitment point I mean the point at which the size of the pot dictates that the other players will end up all-in on a wide variety of boards due to pot odds.

In alot of contexts, however, it simply means keeping the size of the pot consistent with the strength of your hand in order to make your decisions easier.