Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: New to SnGs, two 10+1 hands

I found a good thread a while back about raising with limpers in the pot, and it has worked well for me. Along with the typical opening raise of 3 to 5 times the big blind, you raise an additional amount for the number of limpers. This is the formula: (3 to 5)x(BB) + 2x(number of limpers)x(BB).

For example:

There are 3 limpers at level 1 with BB = 15
Your raise:
(3 to 5)x(BB) = 75
PLUS
2x(3 limpers)x(BB) = 2x3x15 = 90

Total raise = 165

Does anybody else use this formula and have a good sample size to comment? I sometimes win the blinds and limped chips, sometimes get a caller, rarely get more than one caller (Party 11s). Admittedly, I don't have a substantial sample size yet.

MisterW
Old 10-03-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I found a good thread a while back about raising with limpers in the pot, and it has worked well for me. Along with the typical opening raise of 3 to 5 times the big blind, you raise an additional amount for the number of limpers. This is the formula: (3 to 5)x(BB) + 2x(number of limpers)x(BB).

For example:

There are 3 limpers at level 1 with BB = 15
Your raise:
(3 to 5)x(BB) = 75
PLUS
2x(3 limpers)x(BB) = 2x3x15 = 90

Total raise = 165

Does anybody else use this formula and have a good sample size to comment? I sometimes win the blinds and limped chips, sometimes get a caller, rarely get more than one caller (Party 11s). Admittedly, I don't have a substantial sample size yet.

MisterW

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually raise 1xBB per limper, not 2. My standard Lv1 raise is 60, so for three limpers I raise it to 105. This has worked fairly well for me -- I think your example of a raise to 165 will get you the pot uncontested a high percentage of the time, but you want a little bit of action if only raising with premium hands early.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually raise 1xBB per limper, not 2. My standard Lv1 raise is 60, so for three limpers I raise it to 105. This has worked fairly well for me -- I think your example of a raise to 165 will get you the pot uncontested a high percentage of the time, but you want a little bit of action if only raising with premium hands early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good idea with premium hands like AA or KK, but with an unimproved AK or even QQ, might it be better to raise more to induce folding? On the other hand, if you get callers or re-raisers, I would rather have invested less, like your method.

How likely are you pick up the pot or get one caller with the raise to 105? A limper would have to put in another 90 to call a pot of 175 (BB + SB + 3 limpers + 105) giving slightly worse than 2:1 odds. If it is as effective as the raise to 165, I'm changing my formula.

MisterW