Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Tipping etiqutte, should I feel bad/cheap?

The setting: Pub/Bar/Grill downtown, been there a bunch of times. Time: 8pm Party: 3

It was relatively quiet when we walked in, 2 tables of people nearby, otherwise a quiet night. We sit down, our waitress gives us menus, we order some drinks and have a look at the menu. What we ordered is besides the point.

We decide what we want, sit there for a solid 10-15 minutes before we flagged her down so we could order. Slightly upsetting, but not a huge deal. She takes our order, walks away and a few minutes later our drinks are finished.

We wait and wait..she approaches our area and checks in with the table next to us and walks away. We fully expected her to check with us so we could order another drink or get refills, etc. Ok maybe she is busy...we do not see her for another 10-15 minutes, we flag her down and ask for more drinks. Getting annoyed at this point...

Our meal takes quite some time to arrive, a lot longer than usual. Food finally arrives and our drinks are empty once again, before we can pipe up she runs away AGAIN. Doesn't pull the whole "Do you need anything else?" schpeal (sp? lol). Ok, maybe we need to be borderline assertive/rude with this girl. (not my thing btw)

We finish our meals and sit there for 15 minutes or so. She pays us a visit and asks if we want our bill, we say yes. She gives us the bill, we figure out how much each person owes, and my buddy had to pay via credit card, and 2 of us by cash. She fucks off for another 10-15 minute break and comes back and says "Oh I'm sorry, I did not realize you had to pay via credit card." Maybe a common error, but the entire experience disgusted me.

I basically felt like Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs. I'm used to good/great service, she gave lousy service. The place was not incredibly busy, I've never waited on people before...BUT I've been to many restaurants and have only had service this bad once before. This was only the 2nd time in my life that I did not leave a tip. Well, technically I left around $1.

Sadly I had my minimum 15% tip ready for her because society says so, but it took her so long to come and check with us for change, credit card, etc. It bugs me I should feel guilty for not leaving a tip for lousy service. Our dining experience took a little over 2 hours, that's a lot longer than I'm used to.

Let the flaming begin!
Old 09-26-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Tipping etiqutte, should I feel bad/cheap?

If it is not busy, this seems like a perfect situation in which to not leave a tip.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:07 AM

I've been a waiter, and a busser, and a myriad of other professions that basically survive off tips. I got great tips, and give great tips because i know what its like, but i also give appropriate tips. If a waitress is amazing, ill tip her alot more than 15%. If she is bad, then sorry, no 15% for her. Sometimes ill tip the bussers if they helped alot but the waitress sucked (or the bartender) but dont feel bad.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Nah, you are alright. I made great tips when I put in my mandatory time in the service industry, difference is, I didn't suck.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:14 AM

personally i leave:

5-10% for terrible service
10-12% for bad service
15-18% for decent service
and then i take care of them for when they go above and beyond.

i really don't think there is any reason to never leave a tip.

now i do think you acted like an idiot for not speaking you mind, you have this backwards man. speak up and educate them, or else how are they going to learn? from their manager who is also trying to pay their way through college? this is the problem, customers being to nice and then not tipping, f that. tell them the problem and let them know how to correct it and let them know what the customer expects and how to make the customer happy and then tip them the minimum for putting up with it.

they will then reap the rewards for this education. i learned this a long time ago. waiters and waitresses usually fall into one of two categories a) college students b) single parents/non-educated parents, so why waste their time and tip. teach them. it might not be their fault they aren't skilled.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:17 AM

Pretty much the one thing that pisses me off is when they can't take my money and let me out of the joint.

I work in the business so I am pretty understanding, but awful service is awful service.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 AM

As I sat and thought about it, I realized that you should have gone and expressed, clearly and concisely, your concerns about the poor service to the floor manager.

That way, you are more or less guaranteed to get invited back, and or get your meal that night comped. If its the former, you can come back, enjoy excellent service, and leave an appropriate tip.

What you did won't improve the service, even though its justified. People who suck shouldn't be working floors.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:35 AM

i'll hijack this for a second and recommend no one ever date a waitress. i've tipped 40%+ on almost every meal so far.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:39 AM

my girlfriend was a bartender for the first 3 months we dated, this is worse [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 AM

You know, with service that bad and her not paying any attention to you, you might consider just leaving without paying. When people dine and dash, if the server hasnt been paying any attention to the table, it comes out of her pocket. Yes, it is stealing, but if you can live with not going back there again, and the service was really that bad....