Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Handling AK versus a preflop 3-bet

Hero raises A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] from MP. 53/11 SB 3-bets. SB bets a normal amount postflop but doesn't raise nearly as much. Pretty typical for a moderate loose/passive. Now I could cap but I decided to just call and figure out what to do after he autobet the flop.

Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bet, I raised, and he called. 5.5 BB to the turn.

Question 1: If he 3-bets the flop can I reclaim the lost BB by folding the river unimproved?

Question 2: Can I fold the river unimproved if he stop-n-gos a blank turn?

Question 3: The turn blanks and he checks. What's the plan? Bet-bet, free showdown, or free card and call?

Question 4: The turn is a small diamond and he checks. What's the plan?

Thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Handling AK versus a preflop 3-bet

[ QUOTE ]

Question 1: If he 3-bets the flop can I reclaim the lost BB by folding the river unimproved? With a rainbow flop against someone on the passive side I think a 3-bet means he likes his hand. I think folding the river unimproved saves you .9BBs or so.

Question 2: Can I fold the river unimproved if he stop-n-gos a blank turn?Against this player I think you can fold to his turn bet.

Question 3: The turn blanks and he checks. What's the plan? Bet-bet, free showdown, or free card and call?Free showdown. This seems pretty straightforward against someone whom you have described as straightforward

Question 4: The turn is a small diamond and he checks. What's the plan?Bet and take free showdown unimproved. I more likely to check behind with outs against someone who can be somewhat tricky. Villian doesn't fit that description.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-11-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Bump N/M

Old 06-11-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now I could cap but I decided to just call and figure out what to do after he autobet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure capping will show a profit over calling long term.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He bet, I raised, and he called. 5.5 BB to the turn.

Question 1: If he 3-bets the flop can I reclaim the lost BB by folding the river unimproved?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what this means, but you should fold the river unimproved if he 3-bets the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2: Can I fold the river unimproved if he stop-n-gos a blank turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is tougher, but I would be inclined to calldown. It's a lot more likely he is phishing for a fold with that line. As you said, his raises mean more than his bets.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3: The turn blanks and he checks. What's the plan? Bet-bet, free showdown, or free card and call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely bet the turn because you're not worried about a check-raise from this guy. If you get check-raised, you can fold. I'd check behind on the river unless I improved.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4: The turn is a small diamond and he checks. What's the plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same plan as in 3 except you can't fold to a check-raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 AM

I cap preflop, if I didnīt then it is because I think he is very tight with 3bets and in that case Iīll just call the flop, looking to improve or fold the turn.
Qxx really is about the worst you can get if the guy only 3bets AQ,AK and pairs.

Edit: raising flop for a free card, giving him a chance to give you a split or win if he has AK/AJ on the river may be better.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure capping will show a profit over calling long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

(I realize this post is regarding a somewhat passive player, but my question is regarding an unknown or "average" aggression opponent.)

I also cap this and I figure that I am committing to a showdown at that point versus an unknown. If the flop misses me I just get to the showdown as cheaply possible. I go into check and call mode, usually even checking behind on the flop when checked to because of the frequency that I get checkraised in this situation. I sure feel like a moron when I get shown JJ time after time, but it seems like at the time of my turn decision it will only cost me two more BB to show down for a chance to win at least 7BB if I don't improve (the pot at the time is usually at least 6BB plus his river bet). Combine this with the chances that I will improve and it just seems too weak to fold.

Am I correct that I need to show this down?

What do you guys think about my fetal tuck approach postflop?

Do you think I would be better off using some bets or raises to figure out if I can fold/ try to make him fold?

Thanks,
Cartman
Old 06-11-2005, 03:05 AM

If worse hands, like AJ, call a bet, wouldn't it be better to take the free showdown?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:08 AM

It isnīt exactly free if you put a BB in on the turn.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It isnīt exactly free if you put a BB in on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, i completely missed that.

betting the turn gets us a CHEAP showdown, may get a better hand to fold, it could be a value bet, and we are unlikely to get check/raised. I don't get why you would check the turn if a blank fell.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cap preflop, if I didnīt then it is because I think he is very tight with 3bets and in that case Iīll just call the flop, looking to improve or fold the turn.
Qxx really is about the worst you can get if the guy only 3bets AQ,AK and pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]