Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 11:33 PM

Default Poker Therapy

Any advice regarding finding a therapist who is competent in dealing with the poker mind?I would imagine most would be unthinkingly inclined to refer the prospective client to Gamblers Anonymous.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: Poker Therapy

I haven't tried this angle, but it's an interesting thought. You might try a sports psychologist. Poker is essentially a game of risk management in the end. You might do some research to find out what the investment managers/stock brokers/day traders are doing for mental help and preparation.

If you're looking for a therapist for personal problems, like anxiety, depression, etc. I can tell you that I had a therapist who understood poker for what it is after I talked a bit about it. So long as your therapist doesn't have a vendetta against gambling or anything like it, they should treat it similar to a stressful job like day trading. However, they may help you spot if poker is presenting some obsession/addition problems for you. They may help you make the distinction between working hard at poker versus uncontrollably being compelled to play at all hours. This doesn't mean they'll try to make you stop. They may be able to help get any compulsions (if any, I'm not accusing) under control so you can always have maximum control when you are playing.

Therapists are a wonderful thing. A cup of coffee and a good friend can be far cheaper and sometimes more effective, but each has it's time and place. Watch the meds. Family doctors love to hand them out and insurance companies like it too. Meds have a time and place for some, but not all people. They are usually a cheap alternative to therapy and change, but can be a useful crutch. Everyone has to take a careful look for themselves should the possibility arise.

Okay--I think I went beyond the scope of the question here. ;-) Best of luck!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:11 AM

Thank you for the thoughtful reply Contact.Therapy is definitely a luxury.There is nothing like having someone who is willing to listen objectively while one goes on about their problems and offers constructive feedback to boot!No real deep seated psycosis here,just the usual egomaniac/inferiority complex stuff.It sure would be nice to live near and to be able to afford Dr.Al!
Old 11-06-2004, 10:35 AM

I am NOT a therapist, and my lack of clinical training is the reason that I have not commented. Two well trained clinicians post here regularly, bigbaitsim and chesspain. I hope they comment and that you take their comments seriously.
Regards,
Al
Old 11-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Dr R McCall P.E.P.has a audio / video program for poker players and other financial risk takers. Its called The Double Punch. It is well worth the nominal asking price for this step by step series of 24 - 1/2 hour media files . His best selling book The Way of the Warrior Trader is the companion text. check it out at www.masterynexus.com.

As R. McCall Phd. is an American Shihan in the Japanese Martial Art of Kendo and also a Roshi. This course is based on eastern Philosophies more so than Western. And reflects the culture of the worlds formost professional risk takers, the samurai of 16th century feudal Japan.

timmer