Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: real simple question. Why play 6 handed?

I too, am curious about the starting hand chart. How can i find this? I tried searching for 'starting hand chart', but it didnt work.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 PM

6 handed = fun
10 handed = boring

That is my 2 cents worth at least.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I too, am curious about the starting hand chart. How can i find this? I tried searching for 'starting hand chart', but it didnt work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: search in new archives. (Not being an ass, I don't have the links handy).
Old 08-28-2005, 05:28 PM

Hi Mike,

The two things you learn real quick around here are not to claim to be able to perform extraordinary feats of poker with small sample sizes, and to not complain about tight play on Party (notorious for bad, loose players). You kinda did both on that post. I hope the response didn't turn you off the forums, which are an incredibly useful resource. Stick around long enough and one day you will be making the same jokes (though you might be polite enough not to post them).

I just started playing 6-max myself because it's too hard to find full ring games at my limit that aren't more than 50% bonus whores on Absolute. One of the charts that has been posted to these forums before is at http://www.spitflames.com/Chart.htm

Hope that helps.

~schlach
Old 08-28-2005, 06:09 PM

The reason to play shorthanded is that its more difficult, and the average player is going to make more mistakes, thus making the game more profitable. A weak/tight players, who make a decent wage in full, will get crushed in 6 max.

All that being said, Stick to micros right now though, if your playing .50/1.00. Learn the full game well, shorthanded isn't something to jump right into. You have a very small sample and should be looking into beating the game.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Put a + before each search term.

+starting +hand +chart
Old 08-28-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike,

The two things you learn real quick around here are not to claim to be able to perform extraordinary feats of poker with small sample sizes, and to not complain about tight play on Party (notorious for bad, loose players). You kinda did both on that post. I hope the response didn't turn you off the forums, which are an incredibly useful resource. Stick around long enough and one day you will be making the same jokes (though you might be polite enough not to post them).

I just started playing 6-max myself because it's too hard to find full ring games at my limit that aren't more than 50% bonus whores on Absolute. One of the charts that has been posted to these forums before is at http://www.spitflames.com/Chart.htm

Hope that helps.

~schlach

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I see. I've been playing on PP and for a while UB for about 2 1/2 years with my initial $100 buy in so my sample size is just fine. My BB/100 was around 1.75 playing limit before I read SSH. I was just commenting on the limited sampling I have since then. I even qualified my statement by making sure to mention the limited sample size. And I wasn't trying to brag. It's actually 4.75 not 3.5 but I intentionally wanted it to not sound like I was.

I just discovered this forum from the back of SSH which I read in June after hearing rave reviews about it on another website. From here I learned about PA HUD and have been using it while playing and it seems like a lot of the time when I have time to play after work (weeknight evenings) the tables are averaging about 20~25% VPIP. Maybe it's the time of day or I'm getting some bad tables but it seems like I used to see like 50% of the people in the pots at the really low limits before. Maybe it just seemed like it since I had no way of actually tracking it.

I will keep doing what I'm doing until I have at least 10k hands and maybe then I'll be deemed worthy of asking dumb questions. Should I then find a place to host a screenshot of my PT stats to put in my sig until I have 8 thousand posts since I'm not a regular here and am of course a crappy weak tight player? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 PM

Default personally

I had gotten to the point where full games were boring me to tears, especially online. Shorthanded games were so much more fun and interesting - you can play a ton more hands and play them with positive expectancy (well, assuming you know how to play well)! For me, it was so much more fun, and once I got into it, it was really tough to play full games again. But not everyone has the same personality as me, so they may not enjoy it like I do. By the way, I enjoy 3 - 4 players much more than 6 players.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:29 AM

Default Re: personally

[ QUOTE ]
I had gotten to the point where full games were boring me to tears, especially online. Shorthanded games were so much more fun and interesting - you can play a ton more hands and play them with positive expectancy (well, assuming you know how to play well)! For me, it was so much more fun, and once I got into it, it was really tough to play full games again. But not everyone has the same personality as me, so they may not enjoy it like I do. By the way, I enjoy 3 - 4 players much more than 6 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was in a post by you that I found the shorthanded raising requirements I refered to earlier in this post. It was a good post. I've since been referred to a really good post about learning shorthanded play that I'm reading.