Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Theoretical Questions regarding Poker Bots

Please be aware of two things:

1) I know that having a bot play your poker for you is highly against the rules at any poker sites you could even think of.

2) I have zero inclination and even less ability to implement such a nefarious scheme with my own play.

I enjoy playing poker and do not do it to get rich. I am not looking for someone to build a poker bot and I'm not looking for someone to sell me one.

However, I am interested in a theoretical discussion about how feasible it is to create a bot that plays 16 SNGs at once with a positive ROI so all the owner of the bot/program would have to do is sit back and let the bot make all the plays. Or plays high-stake cash games.

I am sure that any online poker place will notice sich a thing immediately so I don't think it's a good idea. I am only wondering if it was possible in theory and if it would be profitable in practice because such a concept intrigues me.

See, I don't think it would work because poker is not just about the cards - even at limit (although I agree that this seems easier for limit games than NL or PL ones) and I think that programming a machine to every decision would be nearly impossible and that skillful players would eventually crack the "code" of such a machine as easy as I used to crack PacMan in the arcades of my youth.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Theoretical Questions regarding Poker Bots

If we have the technology to send a man to the moon, I am sure someone could build a bot to beat poker at some low-mid level, up to what point is debatable. Just that the play is not that good.

The higher levels, I really don't think could be done.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:22 AM

do a search on the forum for the Saabpo threads from a few months ago
Old 05-30-2005, 11:59 AM

20 years ago, computer programs could beat an average to above average chess player. Now off the shelf chess software can beat a very high percentage of players. The best software has beaten the highest rated player in chess history. Now apply that to poker. Of course it's doable.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 PM

Chess and poker have many differences. It has been discussed ad nauseam why the chess arguments can't be used 100% here.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:30 PM

I'm sure it could beat low-limit games. Honestly, how hard is it.

Only play certain cards, when you do raise, pocket pairs only proceed with set. Draw with 4 to a flush and OSED.

Wow, I just beat .50/1.00
Old 05-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Yea, honestly I haven't read the threads on chess vs. poker. It was just a quick thought using the analogy. For average play, I think it would be possible to make a decent bot.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:03 PM

The state of the art research (in public, anyway), is being done here:

http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~games/poker/

Read. Learn.

eastbay
Old 05-30-2005, 02:35 PM

The problem with programming a robot is that even though you could make it beat the games , software updates ( like color change -image or different structures)makes your programmed code useless. You will have to do it from the start when an update occurs and the sites are aware of this and change apperance from time to time.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:08 PM

Poker bots are not my major bot concern. I've noticed a decrease in horny date companions lately. After asking a few questions, I come to realize that sex bots are decreasing my success rate with the women.

If sex bots become widespread, I am convinced I will become backed up and have to find alternative forms of release for pleasure beyond the poker tables.

Sex bots are in their infancy right now, but even so they seem to be making dramatic impacts with the women population. Although amounting to no more than crude ramming devices they are still enjoyed immensely I am told. Imagine when they become more sophisticated and can simulate intricate moves such as foreplay and spooning! Then the world of dating as we know it will be over!