Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 AM

Default Re: WSOP- No party poker apparel?

[ QUOTE ]
the general deal goes like this. you win a satellite to the wsop, so your entry is paid for. but then you still gotta worry about flying to vegas, getting a hotel, etc. they will pay for all these little things if you wear their gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would these guys turn down free airfare and lodging, unless they live in Vegas or something.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the general deal goes like this. you win a satellite to the wsop, so your entry is paid for. but then you still gotta worry about flying to vegas, getting a hotel, etc. they will pay for all these little things if you wear their gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would these guys turn down free airfare and lodging, unless they live in Vegas or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 million dollars >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> airfare and lodging
Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2 million dollars >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>> airfare and lodging

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize that but you have to make it to the final table for this to happen.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about Black (I can't tell from the CardPlayer images), but Kanter wore a Party Poker shirt at the final table. Supposedly right after he made the final table, they made an offer of something in the neighborhood of a few hundred thousand to wear their gear, he briskly declined, and demanded 2 million. They came back to his hotel room not long before the final table was about to start with a shiny new contract. All that for less than 2 hours of TV publicity. Ridiculous, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

He got 2 million?! For something he was supposed to do anyway? That's awesome....
Old 11-10-2005, 11:08 PM

I'd wear a giant bumblebee outfit with the poker sites logo written on my forehead for 2 million if I made it to the ME Final table.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All that for less than 2 hours of TV publicity. Ridiculous, no?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. The value of advertising at the most visible poker event is easily more than 2 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ridiculous. This story that Kanter was paid $2 million to wear a PP shirt is also ridiculous. There is no way this happened.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd wear a giant bumblebee outfit with the poker sites logo written on my forehead for 2 million if I made it to the ME Final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if they'd let you bring a special-needs pet to the table..

Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 PM

I won my seat through Party, and the deal they had to all that players was that if you wore the Party shirt EVERY DAY of the tournament, that if you won they would give you an extra $2 million. You were not required per the agreement to wear their clothes at all.

I wore mine, but gave serious consideration to not wearing it all. (The shirts were really incredibly ugly, they gave you two.... one was awful, one not as bad I suppose) The thought was that if you final tabled you'd have money thrown your way to wear something regardless. If that Kanter story above was true, the thought process was correct.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 PM

I would definitely wear a shirt that said "Party Poker is Rigged!"
Old 11-22-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. The value of advertising at the most visible poker event is easily more than 2 million dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

statements like this make it obvious you know nothing about advertising. if it's "easily" 2 million dollars, then is it worth 5 million? 10 million? how do you put the $ figure on it?