Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2004, 05:05 AM

Default Re: WTF is so hard about 3/6?

I NEVER get on a waiting list, because I figure once I get in the table will be filled with sharks.

Get on 12 waiting lists. When an opening pops up, open up your notes on the players 3 to your right and 3 to your left. That's all it takes to find a decent seat at a table.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:12 AM

Default Bet this river.. (I think.. well, I would)

Missed river value bet?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: x2sk1 is in BB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, BobDibble folds, Button folds, SB calls, BB <font color="purple">(x2sk1)</font> calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">x2sk1 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">x2sk1 caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">x2sk1 bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

River: (12 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, x2sk1 checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 11-14-2004, 05:58 AM

I personally think that the biggest donators on Party are the Very Loose (&gt;60) / Passives (&lt;2). Unfortunately, in my experience, they are very tough to find at 3/6 while they are everywhere at 2/4 and 1/2. I find that these players are typically huge losers in my PT database.

One way that I've found to mitigate this is by lowering my standards on the VP$IP at 3/6. I tend to look for folks in the 45/2 range and have had some success. You will typically win the max with your winning hands from them while losing the least in the process.

Good Luck

King
Old 11-14-2004, 06:12 AM

Nothing is so hard about 3/6.

You either don't play as well as you think you do, or you're running astronomically badly. The odds are that you don't play as well as you think you do.

If you're not at a good game, just stand up and get back on the waitlist for first available with 9. If the new game isn't good, repeat. The overall game quality is so high that this approach will keep you in good games more consistently than trying to scout a specific game--you have to work to find a bad one.

Don't worry about "a table full of sharks" at 3/6. You'd be better off worrying about the possibility of being attacked by a unicorn.

I hope things turn around for you.

scrub
Old 11-14-2004, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just like before I moved back to 2/4, I just sit there and fold, fold and fold hands to raises that I would be able to limp in with at 2/4 in MP/LP (KQo/AQo/KJo/AJo)

[/ QUOTE ]

These are raising hands much more often than calling for me when outside the blinds.

My advice is to fold the SB alot.

My vpip was 12.65 in the 10K hands i have stats from.

Edit: I think I was too tight and Astro´s vpip at the same limit was like 20, so there are definetly more hands to play if you play well postflop.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:37 AM

Trix,

Astro admitted in one of the threads that he wasn't playing optimally at the 3/6 limit in several ways, namely that he was probably playing too loose in the SB. I believe that playing very tight in the SB is crucial to success at 3/6.

-Brian
Old 11-14-2004, 09:42 AM

Hi x2ski,

As others have pointed out, you are probably not playing as well as you think you are. You made significant mistakes in the 2 hands that bobdibble posted that I am sure most of our Micro and Small Stakes regulars never would have made. In between the last 3/6 "running bad" thread you made and this one, you posted exactly one hand for critique. You are not going about improving the right way.

[ QUOTE ]
I am open to any and all advice, because I seriously want to improve here. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post more hands. It's as simple as that.

-Brian
Old 11-14-2004, 10:05 AM

Try 5-10 instead, sounds silly but I like you do very well at 2-4 but not at 3-6. 5-10 works fine too.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am open to any and all advice, because I seriously want to improve here. Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, most of the 2+2ers in the SS section play 3-6. Just look at how many times certain posts get view and the number of responses that go up. So the percentage of good players is much higher than other limits, other than $15/$30.

I've played the 3-6 a bit, and I definitely find on the average that even with proper game selection it is tougher than the $2-$4 and the $5-$10.

So unless you really find it a challenge to beat this level, why play it? Jump to the $5/$10 if your bankroll can handle it. On average, with good game selection, it's better than the $3/$6 by a mile.

I mean if you are making a good 3 bb/100 in 2/4, but only making like .8 bb/100 in 3/6, why bother with 3/6 at all? You risk more, make less. That's illogical.

Try the 5/10 for a bit. You will find it nice.

Lawrence
Old 11-14-2004, 10:32 AM

Are you talking about the 5/10 SH or full?