Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 10:04 PM

Default 1-2 NL at the Trop

So I woke up at seven in the morning on a Sunday to drive the two hours or so from Hoboken to Atlantic City in order to play in the Tropicana's $100+20 NL tourney. Well, they decided the cap the tourney at 100 because it's a busy weekend, and suddenly that two hour drive was beginning to feel like a waste. But wait, there's open seating at 1-2 NL.

I generally play 5-10 or 10-20 limit, or NL tourneys. But I've been leaning more toward 1-2 NL these days, because the games are often really soft and more profitable faster than a limit game. This game was no different. 12 dollar raises would get 5-6 to a flop. People calling big raises pre flop with A-6o, J-5s, and other equally less than mediocre hands. So anyway, I have a loose table image, which is what I want because I'm actually playing fairly tight. But they've seen me win pots with hands like Q-2s and whatnot, from the blinds and such. I'm mixing up my game pretty well, I think. But this one guy is getting really frustrated, because he keeps getting outdrawn when his [censored] bets are called to the river (the type that will bet $40 on the flop with Kings on a ragged board, but will slow down on the turn and bet only $15). So he's getting run over, and he and his friends are very loose passive and it's almost becoming boring betting them out of pots that they're clear winners in. Anyway, the guy is frustrated. I've run my $190 to just over $600 when this hand comes up.

I get AKo in E/MP (maybe UTG+2). I open for 12. Three callers, steaming guy in SB.

FLOP: A-J-7 rainbow

Checked to me. I bet $50. Two fold to mad guy in first position. He raises all-in, $330 more.

What's my move?
Old 01-02-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: 1-2 NL at the Trop

i'd fold.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:12 PM

I would fold. There is a chance that you have the best hand, but there is also a chance that he stumbled into a better hand than you (two pair or a small set) and quite frankly its just not worth risking that much money over without the flop making you a clear winner. Besides, it seems obvious that this guy is going to give you his money sooner or later anyway, you had might as well wait and pick your spot.

-Yarney
Old 01-03-2005, 01:18 AM

If a $12 raise gets 5-6 to the flop, why not pop it up to $20 preflop?

I've played at the trop before and saw a guy with AA raise $20 and a guy with A2 offsuit call it. The flop was 2 2 3. Even fish get lucky.

*However* if this guy was totally steaming, i would not be surprised to see him with AQ or Ax. tempting to call but its a bit too much money to back with top pair
Old 01-03-2005, 02:18 AM

Once in a while you gotta fold the best hand. He probably has you beat, and if not, you'll find a better spot to take his money. Don't go to war with just 1 pair.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tropicana's $100+20 NL tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an awfully steep entry price for a tournament, isn't it? I imagine the majority would be $10-$15 tops.

Garland
Old 01-03-2005, 09:48 AM

http://www.tropicana.net/poker/schedule.htm
Old 01-03-2005, 09:56 AM

Default RESULTS AND THOUGHTS

Well, it was hard to put him on anything specific. He could have had jack seven suited, or A-J, or even A-7, so I decided to fold and take his money in other pots. I folded face up (which I never do), because I wanted to show him that I'm not just bluffing him out of pots all the time. I was leaving soon anyway, so whatever. I kind of felt that Phil Hellmuth "I might be laying down the best hand now, but it'll all even out against a weak field."

Afterward he blushed and sort of whispered to his friend while he was laughing. I think he had a weak ace and was sick of being pushed around. Oh well.