Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 04:02 AM

Default PFR %

I've noticed a trend in my PFR % as I've increased in limits. I realize 2500 hands is not a sample, but plenty good for a PFR average which is how many 15/30 hands I have.
6K 3/6: ~16.5% PFR
50K+ 5/10: ~17.5% PFR
50K+ 10/20: ~18.5% PFR
2.5K 15/30: 19.5% PFR

I wonder does anyone else have a similar increase in their PFR % as they moved up in limits? I wonder if the % goes up as my comfort and skill increases or due to the agressiveness of the higher limit games.
Any thoughts welcome.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: PFR %

mine went up pretty steadily at 6-max as well. i always thought more confidence/skill was the reason. the better i felt about my game, the better i felt about playing marginal hands and isolating more.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:26 AM

1/3
2/5
1/2
2/3

It's not coincidence.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 AM

hmm, then there's that. but mine also went up at similar blind structures.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 AM

How often do you raise A6o on the button in a 3/6 game? What about a 15/30 game? The increase should be almost completely attributable to an increased frequency of profitable blind steal situations.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:06 AM

i raise any ace on the button at any limit... what i'm trying to say is that early on in my poker career there were spots where i thought i could maybe play a hand profitably, but i was afraid of playing badly and i wasn't that confident about getting involved with not so great hands. so i would sometimes end up folding in spots where i don't think twice about raising now. maybe that's just me, but that's what happened, and i think it has a lot to do with why my numbers steadily increased.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:13 AM

I dunno. At higher limits, I sometimes fold hands I would have played at a lower limit, because my opponents' range of hands is better and their postflop errors tend to less egregious. I definitely have lowered my 3-betting standards and defend my blinds more voraciously, given how loose and aggressive many of the other players play. Overall my VPIP and PFR have gone up, and I definitely feel more comfortable now playing hands in certain situations that I wouldn't have otherwise.

But regardless, I am glad to hear that you feel more confident in your abilities as you are moving up. Your shania is growing in power.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:20 AM

btw, when i say that mine went up at similar blind structures, i mean that prima poker (i think) has a 1/2 structure at every level (i do know for sure that 15/30 6-max has a 7.50 small blind.) so the blind structures i played in were the same, i'm not just comparing 3/6 with 15/30, etc. so the difference in opponent skill level between the limits wasn't too large. yes, i should probably be isolating a lot less at a 30/60 table than a 3/6 table, but when you're going from 10/20 to 15/30 to 20/40, things aren't as different.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 PM

I think it has most to do with the fact that the higher you get the lower the vpip is and the more chances u have to steal
and open light.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it has most to do with the fact that the higher you get the lower the vpip is and the more chances u have to steal
and open light.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is clearly it.