Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-04-2005, 03:36 PM

Default What do you think of this push?

It's early... you like this push to avoid seeing a flop and pick up all those limpers' chips? Don't be afraid to call me a retard. I usually don't play NL or tourneys and I blow.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter

MP2 (t1880)
CO (t4120)
Button (t1070)
Hero (t1580)
BB (t1350)
UTG (t1000)
UTG+1 (t1370)
MP1 (t1130)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t20, MP2 calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t80</font>, Button calls t80, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1590</font>...

Results:

<font color="white"> no peeking. I'll post them later. </font>
Old 12-04-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: What do you think of this push?

I think I would push here too CO doesnt really need a hand to raise here due to his triple up and I assume(correct me if im wrong)his looseness was how he did this and the button probably knows this so is calling with a weaker hand due to his position,hoping they would both fold,just have to hope the button doesn't have a monster,that said a call i think would be OK here you can see a flop relatively cheap with a premium hand and play it from there not having committed many chips
Old 12-04-2005, 03:49 PM

OK, this was basically my thinking as well. Everyone folded, I picked up a couple hundred chips.

Just felt a little donkish to push on the first blind level... but the situation seemed to call for it.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:51 PM

I don't like it, I think the raise is way too big. I would call, with my 2nd choice being a raise to ~t300 or so. I'd much prefer a call though because I'd hate it if someone pushed over me.
Old 12-04-2005, 03:54 PM

The push was horrible. The only hands that are really gonna call you are QQ,KK,AA and then AK which is a coin flip that you dont want. JJ isnt that great of a hand. Its pretty vulnerable. I would maybe reraise but I might just call behind.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:18 PM

Yeah, but what if I didn't want a call?
Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM

I don't think this is too terrible. But I think I would have reraised to about 400.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:24 PM

Also I think what buy in your playing would make a difference here. At the 11's someone might actually call you with a worse hand than QQ, KK, or AK. And I've never played the 105's, but I doubt people would.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:27 PM

I think I would lean towards calling here. If CO seems really loose and you think there's a very good chance he'd call you with a weak ace or a smaller pair or whatever this push might be ok, but without a strong read I wouldn't push here. I don't think the 250 in the middle is worth risking your stack over since I don't think you'll get called by any hands you beat (AJ, TT, etc.) enough to make this truly profitable (I'm assuming you'll have an edge later on in the tournament around bubble time). I really don't think reraising here to 300 or so is a good idea, building a big pot out of position with a vulnerable hand against loose opponents sucks.

Oh and if you could list the buy-in and how villian got all his chips earlier that would be helpful.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:28 PM

What was the buyin? I've recently started shoving JJ in spots just like that in the 10+1s and I'm getting calls from 66, A9, even KJ.