Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Bad shove with top 2-pair?

Blinds 50/100

stacks:
Hero is in Big Blind with (1400)
MP (3300)
Button (1900)

MP has been solid and agressive, made a couple of late position steals and hasn't been afraid to shove all of his chips in to chase people out of a pot. Button has just been moved to table has played almost every hand and has not raised alot.

Hero is delt 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
folds to MP
MP calls 100
Button raises to 200
BB calls
MP calls

flop:

5 Q 10 rainbow

Hero checks
MP bets 200
Button folds
Hero bets 1200 and is all-in

should I have simply called his flop bet? Is there any way from this action I coudda put MP on a set? With an M of less then 10, is this a pre-flop push (I don't think so with a limper and min-raise) Do I fold to the PF min-raise? Did I play it OK and just chalk this up to bad luck?
Old 10-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Bad shove with top 2-pair?

I don't like the push. I would flat call and hope for more action on the turn. Bet or raise the turn. There is no way you are folding this hand.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Bad shove with top 2-pair?

I take it from your post he called and showed you 55 or maybe TT for a set.

Without knowing that, flopping top two pair with a stack that is fairly short like yours I'm getting my money all in. I don't like your all-in bet though. I would make it 600 and call all in if he raises and if he flat calls I'd push any turn. I'm looking for a call and a check raise all in may scare him off.

I think your preflop call is fine. I think you could definetly argue for pushing here preflop also. There has been 1 limper and the button only min raises. Looks to me like he's trying to cheaply get rid of the blinds and get MP2 heads up. A push could very likely win it right here and if called QT suited isn't the worst hand to be in with.