Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Default My 6max preflop opening strategy

First off let me say that what matters most is post flop play. In part I want to get a settled preflop strategy so I can concentrate on more important things. Also you can’t tackle preflop without thinking about post flop. Mainly I just wanted to stimulate some debate. I’m assuming 100BB stacks and flexibility at the table. It's also fairly rough.

6max opening
UTG
22 AKo,AQo,ATs,KQs,QJs,JTs …..10% of hands
UTG+1 add AJo,KQo,QJo,JTo….13% of hands
Cutoff add Axs,suited broadway, suited connectors to 54s,ATo….20% of hands
Button add K9s, suited one gappers, offsuit broadway, offsuit connectors….30% of hands

I’m interested in views on the merits of Axs in early and Kxs,A9o and offsuit one gappers on the button. I’m viewing the hands as groups rather than individuals so variety is important. I'm looking for a mix of raw strength and potential.

%age chance of holding PP: UTG=60, UTG+1=44, cutoff=30%, button=20%
%age chance of being suited: UTG=22, UTG+1=16, cutoff=37, button=32

Raise or Limp
This is a major question for me. I want this strategy to be ok if I move up so a big consideration is to avoid information leakage. The simplest way to do this is to always open raise in the button or cutoff. I figure I have a major advantage in these positions and raising is the best way to exploit that. If the conditions aren’t right for raising a hand then I’ll fold it but not limp. I am a bit exposed to resteals with these hands. I’m unsure in early position. Any help?

I know some posters advocate raising as standard. I’d like to know if there are major dissenters.

Everyone will have lots they disagree with so concentrate on your main differences.

Thanks
James
Old 04-08-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: My 6max preflop opening strategy

When I began playing I made a chart like yours which I kinda followed. Starting hand selection schould however be based on position but also your image and how the table is running.

With a chart like that you will have no room for innovation and creativity preflop. It is probobly good if you just have started playing nl but I noticed that it slowed me down and kept me from playing optimal.

Raising or limping that is the question. I like to build pot preflop with small suited connectors and small pockets. Its easy to get away from on the flop and if you hit a draw or trips you have a huge hand. Also at these limits its quite easy to become table captain and start pushing people arround.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:58 AM

Default im kind of noob. tell me plz in the card list that u wrote

what u doing when u facing raise? u call?fold?Re?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:50 AM

The chart is really a framework to get me thinking about what situations I'm likely to face on the flop. I was specific about hands because its easier for people to discuss than general thoughts. I also like the rigour that putting things in print brings. At the very least I can find the hands I'm not playing and put them out of my mind.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With a chart like that you will have no room for innovation and creativity preflop. It is probobly good if you just have started playing nl but I noticed that it slowed me down and kept me from playing optimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna a chart and a formula...go play 16 tables of Limit by the book and make as much as a decent NLH player.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 AM

&lt;sarcasm&gt; yeah what he said. go [censored] yourself with your charts and stuff. &lt;/sarcasm&gt;
Old 04-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: im kind of noob. tell me plz in the card list that u wrote

[ QUOTE ]
what u doing when u facing raise? u call?fold?Re?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't attempt to list this because I'd be looking at the player doing the raising. Usually play tight though.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:32 PM

Are you seriously not playing something like JKo in the CO? Also I think you can safely limp AJo UTG, as well as KQo.

Also, I think you can safely play 9To in the CO and 9Jo on the button.