Default Re: Telling a girl you have an STD

[ QUOTE ]
Hey OP...

Sucks doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 02:33 AM

Default Unprotected oral sex ?

I thought that was when you get head from a hooker without hiding your wallet under the seat.

Herpes is known for only being transmissable when you yourself are having an outbreak; add to this the fact that an astounding % of the adult population has some form of it and it seems like any girl you meet and like - who also likes you - ought to be understanding of the situation.

Jokes aside I am sorry to hear it. Get as much info as you can and see a doctor who specializes in this sort of thing. You said you were tested but you didn't say whether or not the testor was a physician and even if they were you didn't mention anything about treatment/counseling.

Most important is that you take proper precautions in the future; herpes is a minor nuisance to someone who's in good health but a potential catastrophe to someone who isn't.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Re: Unprotected oral sex ?

[ QUOTE ]
Herpes is known for only being transmissable when you yourself are having an outbreak

[/ QUOTE ]

It is "known" by people who are wrong and giving bad advice. You can shed virus and transmit the disease without any outward signs.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Telling a girl you have an STD

As hard as it may be, telling the person up front is the right move.

I've dated someone with herpes before. She didn't find out until we had been dating for several months. She believes she caught it from an exboyfriend and I believe her because she was honest enough to tell me up front. I won't lie, it makes things difficult. But if guys care about each other, it's definitely something that can be dealt with.

For me personally, I was very worried about catching it. Actual intercourse was very sporadic and we always used protection. There are other ways to get off without actually having intercourse and we mostly did this. By being careful I was able to avoid contracting herpes myself.

I can't reiterate enough. As others have said, this is a social disease more than anything. As I saw through my ex, it can be devastating to catch this. But the reality is, A LOT of people have it. Some know, a lot don't. Those that do know don't exactly go around telling everyone. The social stigma associated with herpes is the worst aspect of this disease.