Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 02:35 AM

Default Re: Why do i start daydreaming when I try to learn something by reading?

I used to have the same problem but I dont anymore. I think its "practice makes perfect." I've notice that I can even read faster now. Before I started playing poker I would not pick up a single book to read and was an extremely slow reader. I hated reading in college and I was like you, sit there and listen to the professor and take notes. Because of poker, I now read a lot faster as well as day dream less.

I think you just have to try and be more disciplined and dedicated to your reading. If you can only read for 15 minutes then just do that. After the 15 minutes go do something, pee break, wash the dishes, go out in the back yard, walk the dog, whatever. Come back read for another 15 minutes. Keep doing it until you eventually train your mind to be able to read for an hour without day dreaming. Meaning the next time you read push to read for 17 mins, break, rinse and repeat for awhile. Read for 20 mins, break, read 20 mins - rinse and repeat. You get the picture.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Why do i start daydreaming when I try to learn something by readin

It's funny...I'm almost exactly the reverse. I can't learn in a classroom...but give me a copy of the WSJ every morning and the Economist and I'm fine.

Will
Old 11-21-2005, 05:45 PM

yo, ContactGSW, i should be PMing you at this point, but now i'm even more curious.

what field are you in?

i, too, have that free-association thing, and my good friend told me that in live games he absolutely cant read me, because i seem to simultaneously look like i'm going to fold, call and raise. in reality, i'm just spacing out...haha

but yeah, what we lack is called latent inhibition. which means what have is a very low threshold for being interrupted, i.e. a new stimulus often takes control of our entire attention span.

and to those saying ADD is a myth (e.g. Soko), i agree with you. it's not a you-have-it-or-you-don't thing. it's more just a collection of behavioral tendencies, that, like anything else, can be more exaggerated in some people than others. for some people, the magnitude of these tendencies is enough to interrupt their daily lifestyle (e.g. i often have no idea what somebody has just said when they finish saying something to me, in person or on the phone). so, these people sometimes get diagnosed, so they can try medications, which may or may not make things better.

i agree that it's gotten way out of proportion, and that everybody and their junior high daughter seems to have it, but if it gives me a nice sense of justification for my human shortcomings, hey, i'm down!
Old 11-21-2005, 07:53 PM

Well I'm a forensic pathologist, which is great in some ways for my personality, terrible in others. While I'm not systematic and my life is an organizational wreck, most people I work with, cops, lawyers on both sides etc prefer me over the other docs to do the complex cases because I do zone in on the problems, coorelate all the findings quickly and do very well on the stand. But don't ask me to get a report done on time, or be able to handle administrative tasks, or handle anything that takes organization. I'm an 'in the moment' problem solver. In retrospect medicine was a very poor career choice, I mainly applied because I wanted to show all the gunners I could kick thier ass, but they got even; with my personality I did very good at a lot of things in med school but at others I was just tortured. I should have stuck to pumping gas in Yellowstone Park, my best job ever. I fully agree with your take on the way we have been gifted to see the world, it can be horrible if you try to squeeze your way into all the round holes out there, but if you maximize your positives its a blast being able to see the world this way. Hey I'm down too, what the hell is going on? I can't have just been lucky for two years could I? What a bummer that would be.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you're an aural learner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehehe, you said aural...oh, wait...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First off, ADD is a myth

[/ QUOTE ]

You're totally wrong.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:20 PM

I too have a degree in Computer Engineering and I was noticing this phenomenon today. I'm having a hard time getting interested in much of anything at the moment, but that's sort of always been my issue. I'll read everything or obsess over a topic for a few days then I'll move on to something else. The key to me getting all the way through a poker book (or anything like that) is that I either never try to read more than 10 pages at a time or I am so obsessed with the material that I read every word for hours on end. Generally speaking, though, I'll read a variety of books on one subject at a time and simply skim them or read a couple of chapters that interest me.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, ADD is a myth

[/ QUOTE ]

You're totally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche,

imbecile.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, ADD is a myth

[/ QUOTE ]

You're totally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche,

imbecile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny that this is the psychology section and someone pipes in with a concrete statement that go's competely against years on psycho. and medical reseach, of course, with no facts to back it up. And when someone corrects them, there an "imbecile", but again, without any facts to back it up.

Lets think of some other concrete statements without factual evidence... the hallucaust didn't exist. The world is Flat. Black people have tails. If you kidnap a midget he will lead you to his pot of gold. Things aren't true just because your narcissistic egoist and you decide to think them true based on your own limited opinion. Plus, there espiecally insulting to people who are afflicted with a condtion that they can't control. Some people just are always holding the " <font color="red"> A</font> ce of <font color="red"> D</font> iamonds and the <font color="red">H </font> eart <font color="red"> D</font> euce." But im sure you will just dismiss me as an "imbecile" Just because i disagree with you. hahahahah, good luck with that it life, im sure you will learn alot that way.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First off, ADD is a myth

[/ QUOTE ]

You're totally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche,

imbecile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny that this is the psychology section and someone pipes in with a concrete statement that go's competely against years on psycho. and medical reseach, of course, with no facts to back it up. And when someone corrects them, there an "imbecile", but again, without any facts to back it up.

Lets think of some other concrete statements without factual evidence... the hallucaust didn't exist. The world is Flat. Black people have tails. If you kidnap a midget he will lead you to his pot of gold. Things aren't true just because your narcissistic egoist and you decide to think them true based on your own limited opinion. Plus, there espiecally insulting to people who are afflicted with a condtion that they can't control. Some people just are always holding the " <font color="red"> A</font> ce of <font color="red"> D</font> iamonds and the <font color="red">H </font> eart <font color="red"> D</font> euce." But im sure you will just dismiss me as an "imbecile" Just because i disagree with you. hahahahah, good luck with that it life, im sure you will learn alot that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You want some evidence?

How did humans exist for 10's and thousands of years without any synthetic drugs? In the last 50 years, 50% of the population of the world is under perscription medication for some sort of condition.

Makes alot of sense to me. (sarcasm)