Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Quality of players at WSOP

Having watched some of it on ESPN, I am amazed how similar many of the players are to the fish I see on Party MTTs every night. And I thought the WSOP was a place for only the best. Watching some of these guys (KJ guy, etc) reminds me of my early days when I couldn't read a board or a bet. These players are almost as bad as author-turned-calling station, Jim McManus.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Quality of players at WSOP

I was actually glad when the guy who called the allin with JTs preflop lost to runner runner boat after flopping the nut straight.

Who the hell calls an all-in in the WSOP on the first day for over 5000 in chips with just JTs?

Am I missing something?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was actually glad when the guy who called the allin with JTs preflop lost to runner runner boat after flopping the nut straight.

Who the hell calls an all-in in the WSOP on the first day for over 5000 in chips with just JTs?

Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM

I didn't follow the action of the hand too closely.

but I can tell you that by the end of the first day the blinds are big enough to possibly make it worthwhile.

since they aren't very good at keeping the time of day or reporting the blinds during the broadcast it is possible that the blinds were at around 300/600 and that $5000 in chips was less than 10BB (plus the rising ante's too).

Still doesn't make it the greatest call in the world.
Just saying that they move the blinds up enough on day 1 to eliminate more than half the field.

So $5000 in chips by the end of the day really is a pretty short-stack and you ARE probably going to have to go all-in at some point.

But in that hand I'm guessing it was probably just a terrible play as everyone here assumes.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM

Yeah but he called all in. With a M of 10 or so, a push is bad poker, but calling a push is a big mistake IMHO.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM

You guys just don't know enough to make these assumptions. Bob makes a good point -- with the blinds/antes, I wouldn't be suprised if the guy w/ JTs was gettting something like 2 to 1 on the all in call.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM

He's a 4 to 1 dog to AA, KK, QQ, JJ.

But hey, given the cards people were pushing with, I guess my hand range above is too tight.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys just don't know enough to make these assumptions. Bob makes a good point -- with the blinds/antes, I wouldn't be suprised if the guy w/ JTs was gettting something like 2 to 1 on the all in call.

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding was that blinds were 300/600 some guy open pushed for 5K and he called in the BB.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:40 PM

Don't know what the McManus rip is about, but I was also shocked at some of the limping in I've seen, though that is why the 3 1st flights are cut by more than in half after 14 hours. Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM

i'm guessing antes were 50.. so about 1400 in the pot preflop. 5000 to win 6400, yeah, sounds like a bad call (but pusher's range is much wider than big pairs.)