Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2005, 02:42 AM

Default first week impressions

i'm doing this more as a post to look back on some months from now rather than an informative bit.

classes dont seem so bad at the moment. in hindsight i really wish i blocked my classes so all would be in the mornings, that way i could have that stuff done (plus studying) at like 2-3 in the afternoon.

there is less free time than i originally thought, but only because i've been out so much doing stuff with new friends. this may change in the weeks to come, i don't know. very little time for poker, if any.

downtown is absolutely nuts. it's ridiculous how easy it is to get access to alcohol, but i've managed to keep myself from getting hammered thus far. which is good, imo.

the futon is imperative. i wish i got more posters. i also did not bring any snacks, and now am regrettting that as well.

i now have gotten good at racquetball (this sport is awesome) and have been going to the university athletic center a lot. but i havent been lifting enough.

if i dont cut soda out of my diet by new year's im gonna be very sad for myself. been transitioning to juices.

oh, and also if i dont get a 4.0 while maintaining normallness, that would also really suck. the goal 2nd semester is to throw poker in the mix (but OOT=! poker).

im in the honors dorm, and i dont know if theres a correlation here but theres a lot of people who are leaving to go back to their hometowns only after the second weekend. i think this is retarded. my dad's birthday was today and the most he got was a phone call from me, 1.5 hours away. and he understands.

lots of women. wowowow. so very different from high school. peer pressure is nonexistant. i love that.

so yea, here's to hoping i dont screw up frosh year!
Old 08-27-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: first week impressions

Sounds like Livejournal material... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, I'm kinda surprised so many schools are already started. I don't start back to classes for another week and a half (Wednesday after Labor Day).

BTW, if you're sad you didn't bring snacks...go to the store? I also think you'll find that 4.0 is a lot harder than you probably think, but if you put your work in, it can be done. Good luck the rest of the way. Now go get yourself laid! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 AM

Getting classes done early is the WTG in my opinion. I don't need 15 hours of sleep like everyone else does so I have no problem going to bed at 12-1 every night and waking up at 8 for class. I was usually done with class between 11-12 in the morning. It was real nice to have the afternoon off to play poker, and then have the evenings to do homework, and go out.

Definitely cut soda out of your diet. You need all the energy you can get in college, and soda is just bad for you. When I moved to the dorms I drank apple, and orange juice with every meal. You'll start to notice a huge difference once you don't have all that crappy soda in your diet all the time.

I'm sure you already know this, but don't be the guy who goes home every weekend. It's so gay.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 AM

CN,

I'm sure you've heard most of these before, but here they are anyways:

-Don't get behind in your classes. Spend that extra hour you would usually spend watching TV going over your notes and doing a little studying.
-Some schools have companies that come in for a week and sell posters at cheap prices, so be sure to look out for that. Or you can just order some online.
-Racquetball does rule. Great cardio, hella fun. But yeah, try to throw in a little strength training.
-I think getting a 4.0 in your first semester at college is pretty damn hard (assuming you're taking reasonable courses). Just don't be too disappointed if you come up short.
-This might be a bit off, but I'm assuming that since honors students are "nerdier", they aren't as social as the non-honors kids and are having trouble adjusting/enjoying college so they want to go home where they're more comfortable?
-Enjoy the women, take advantage of this great situation.
-Don't do anything stupid.
-Have fun!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 AM

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw. siihp.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-This might be a bit off, but I'm assuming that since honors students are "nerdier", they aren't as social as the non-honors kids and are having trouble adjusting/enjoying college so they want to go home where they're more comfortable?

[/ QUOTE ]

half fit that description, while the other half are outwardly going and very social and just happen to be geniuses.

and the poster sale ended today.

and i dont have a truck to get to any kind of store. but i might just be tempted to walk tomorrow and find one. i could really use some cashews right about now.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:14 AM

You need to lay out a plan with your room/suite mate about the sock on the doorknob meaning "sleep in the hallway byatch, I'm getting laid". This must be clearly expressed and understood by both parties.

I miss college sometimes, and then I look at my mortgage and realize . . . phlehhsshhhh [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 03:17 AM

Where do you go to school?
Old 08-27-2005, 03:26 AM

Just ask one of your new friends who drive if they can take you to a nearby store. It might be a little awkward if you don't know them too well but I'm sure they won't mind. I remember my first week of college I asked my neighbor who I'd only spoken to once or twice if he could take me to a thrift store and help me buy a couch (he had a truck). He was happy to take me, and he ended up becoming one of my best friends at school.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:30 AM

WOW