Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2004, 07:20 AM

Default I keep feeling that Big Pairs are a leak in my game.

The game is $.25BB NLHE on UB. Full game. I get dealt AA in the SB.

UTG+2 (~34) calls the blinds, fold, raise to .55 by Mp2 (~39).

<font color="blue">I'm not impressed with the Mp player no reads on the UTG+2. </font>

Folded to me I make it $2.15 both call.

<font color="blue"> what kind of hand do you call a raise and a reraise cold here? Fact that I don't know this is probably leak no.1, my guess would be small pair or something, he probably knows i have QQ-AA or AK.</font>

Flop comes down: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet the pot for $6,70, called by UTG +2, Mp folds.

<font color="blue"> calls preflop raise, calls flop. Should've thought he spiked the set here, going for an all in raise on the turn. Or is he a calling station with a big pair or two pair (i can imagine being up against 76 here, although I would've expected aggression on the flop then)</font>

Turn: [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> This is where I think my major leak lies, in the thought process on the turn. Here goes:

I don't think this guy has a straight. he probably knows I don't have it either. He probably knows I 'm on aces. I don't know what he's on. Could be a smaller pocket pair or worse a set.

If I pot it here for about $20 I have about $9 left. If I get called my chips are going in on the river anyway.
If i bet anything between 1/2 pot and pot, same goes.

Also, if he raises me all in, I stand against a tough decision with most my chips in the pot. Checking doesn't seem like an option. I'm not sure I'm beat here yet, and that would give him great opportunity to buy it.</font>

<font color="red">So I pushed. I'm thinking I should've half pot it still, and fold to a raise, because he probably wouldn't raise me unless i'm beat, he would fold any worse hand and call with God knows what. I think that is the major leak here. But I really want to know what you guys think.</font>
Old 04-24-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: I keep feeling that Big Pairs are a leak in my game.

shameless bump. need some help here guys
Old 04-24-2004, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He probably knows I 'm on aces

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, then why in the world would you push on the turn??

His actions indicate a monster hand. He calls a significant reraise pre flop, then calls a big bet on the flop. To me that screams set.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:25 PM

I would check on the turn. There is no way that he is going to lay down a better hand than AA here. If you are mentally committed then check call his bet, give him some room to bluff. I would personally be done with this hand unless I knew more about what UTG+2 was capable of.
Old 04-24-2004, 11:03 PM

I'm a NL newbie. I play paradise poker. Just progressed
to $25 max buy in. Still learning.

I usually re-raise AA to $5 if someone has raised preflop.
With that flop and a raised pot, I would rule out
flush and straigt draws and two pair. That leaves overpair
or set. So I think I would of played it the same way you
did after the flop. But with a bigger pre-flop raise
I would feel more confident someone did not have set.
Since it would be harder for someone to call a bigger raise
with a middle pair.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:35 AM

Hi,

One of the first rules of NL you have to learn is that if you raise less then 1/10 of your stack and have a tendency to not let go of your big over pairs you will get stacked off *alot* by people calling for the implied odds of hitting big hands against you and getting paid off.

This is not to say always raise 1/10 of your stack. Just you can't assume anything about the hands that have called a raise when its less then 1/10th of your stack and less then 1/10 of their stack.

UTG+2 would call with a hand that beats you to try and get MP along for the ride. He knows he raised PF and might have a hand he's attached too also and you two would start a raising war.

This *is* .25BB so dont assume he didn't call that flop bet with a gutshot. Either way, you push in and you only get called by sets and str8's. So you will lose your stack everytime your beaten and just gain the pot when your ahead. So your turn all in only loses you money unless your opps get way to attached to the over pairs. It happens at the lower limits, but dont count on it.

This is why position is power. Its very hard to make your opp make a mistake from EP when you have the better hand and you always have to make the mistake of betting into the better hand or checking and giving them a free card to their draw.

I cringe when I get big hands in EP, its the hardest place to profit from them.

MarkV.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The game is $.25BB NLHE on UB. Full game. I get dealt AA in the SB.

UTG+2 (~34) calls the blinds, fold, raise to .55 by Mp2 (~39).

<font color="blue">I'm not impressed with the Mp player no reads on the UTG+2. </font>

Folded to me I make it $2.15 both call.

<font color="blue"> what kind of hand do you call a raise and a reraise cold here? Fact that I don't know this is probably leak no.1, my guess would be small pair or something, he probably knows i have QQ-AA or AK.</font>

Flop comes down: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I bet the pot for $6,70, called by UTG +2, Mp folds.

<font color="blue"> calls preflop raise, calls flop. Should've thought he spiked the set here, going for an all in raise on the turn. Or is he a calling station with a big pair or two pair (i can imagine being up against 76 here, although I would've expected aggression on the flop then)</font>

Turn: [ 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> This is where I think my major leak lies, in the thought process on the turn. Here goes:

I don't think this guy has a straight. he probably knows I don't have it either. He probably knows I 'm on aces. I don't know what he's on. Could be a smaller pocket pair or worse a set.

If I pot it here for about $20 I have about $9 left. If I get called my chips are going in on the river anyway.
If i bet anything between 1/2 pot and pot, same goes.

Also, if he raises me all in, I stand against a tough decision with most my chips in the pot. Checking doesn't seem like an option. I'm not sure I'm beat here yet, and that would give him great opportunity to buy it.</font>

<font color="red">So I pushed. I'm thinking I should've half pot it still, and fold to a raise, because he probably wouldn't raise me unless i'm beat, he would fold any worse hand and call with God knows what. I think that is the major leak here. But I really want to know what you guys think.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
stacks so small that its rarely much of a decision.
Raise 10% preflop, bet half the pot on flop, if you are raised its too little not to call....
Old 04-25-2004, 03:23 PM

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I know understand this was a typical misplayed on everystreet. It's good to hear the 1/10 rule etc. It's the advise you know exists, but it needs to sink in for real.

Results are that my opponent folded and I dragged the 19 pot. I don't know what he layed down, but I do know I got incredibly lucky. I knew I wouldn't get called by anything less than what I had.

Back to the books for me, and lots pf practise. I think it's time to reread Ciaffone and Reuben.