Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: When do you look at your cards. And Why?

I look right away. This way, I can start working out what I'm going to do with the hand, I can watch the action in front of me, knowing what I have so I can react accordingly. It also speeds up the game slightly and I hate a slow game
Old 11-18-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You look at your cards? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah really! comeon guys haven't you seen rounders if your good it dosen't matter.

But I look at my cards when the action comes to me watching the people ahead and behind me. I have to look at both because virtually everyone looks at there cards at the same time so if I'm trying to read people its a little harder. Occasionaly I throw in a look out of turn just to mix it up.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:17 AM

I used to look at my cards as soon as I received them. I did this primarily to keep the game moving as fast as possible. But I recently switched to waiting. Rather than looking down and seeing something like 88 or AQ that could be a questionable cold-call or 3-bet if I'm faced with a raise, I get to see from whom the raise comes BEFORE I look at my cards. This way, I can look at my cards fully prepared to act in a certain way. I don't like looking at my hand, waiting to see what happens, and then deciding. I'd rather wait to see what happens, and then look and decide in one motion. It saves a few brain cells and allows me to make a few folds that I don't think I was making when I looked immediately. 88 and AQ can look sooo good when you're running bad, but when the rock raises, you're suddenly hoping to peer down into the eyes of big pairs and AK. I don't like getting attached to my eights and then releasing them preflop. It makes them unhappy.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as giving off preflop tells yourself... practice. Matt Damon practiced with blank cards while making rounders to make sure he didnt piss himself with excitement when he picked up that A9.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really make sense. Why would he be excited to see A9 preflop? I'm not doubting that he practiced with blank cards, but I'm not convinced that the reason you presented for WHY he practiced with blanks is accurate.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
As far as giving off preflop tells yourself... practice. Matt Damon practiced with blank cards while making rounders to make sure he didnt piss himself with excitement when he picked up that A9.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't really make sense. Why would he be excited to see A9 preflop? I'm not doubting that he practiced with blank cards, but I'm not convinced that the reason you presented for WHY he practiced with blanks is accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually not sure which sarcastic remark to apply here, so I'll just go straight:

Sorry about that boxtree, I guess it was my fault for not separating my joke from the valuable information.
You're correct, of course he shouldn't get too excited about seeing that hand. This is the reason that I mentioned it, joking that he shouldn't really have to practice staying stone-faced because A9 wouldn't change my expression. Maybe however, it would excite some donk that never played.

Sorry again, and thanks for pointing out that it was unclear!
Old 11-18-2005, 09:24 AM

Make it simple. Look at your cards at the same time everyone else looks at them, as you turn them over after 8-betting the river blind. Make sure to announce "just the nuts" and (and this is very important) be right about it. For improved effect, try to be way way behind on the flop.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:57 AM

I usually look once the action is on the guy 2 to my right. So I can fold in stride and keep the game moving.

blake
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You look at your cards? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay to look at your cards on 4th street after posting a live staddle. Kids today.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an ACE!!!
Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually look once the action is on the guy 2 to my right. So I can fold in stride and keep the game moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... I'll usually glance to the right to see if the people ahead of me are folding/limping/raising without looking at me, but at the limits I play of course no one's looking at me for tells.

I'm trying to get in the habit of checking my hand precisely once more before the flop regardless of what I have: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], whatever. That way observant players may assume that I have a "hard to remember" hand rather than something that doesn't require a check. By all means I want to avoid the ol' "Check your suits once the third suited card hits in case you're drawing at a one-card flush" tell.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 PM

It depends on my position.

I pick up on what the other players are going to by how many chips they pick up or how they hold their cards in their hand. If you watch the other players, they will pick up more chips when they are going to raise. Some pick up on what I am doing and grab a stack, but few pick up on this. If they are going to fold they usually don't protect their cards or pick up chips and just hold them so they can fold quickly.

So when I am in early position I look at my hand as soon as I can then watch what the players do behind me. Also, you should be playing tight in early position so you don't need as much info to play your hand. Any hand you play here, you shouldn't care if you have to call a raise. If you do, then you should have folded it in the first place.

If I am in middle position I watch the early players and then look at my cards. If I need more information I will hold up the action while I watch the players behind me look at their cards. Then make my decision.

In late position I try to wait until someone holds up the action while they think, look at my cards while nothing is happening, and then think about what I am going to do as the action picks up.

Overall, I try not to hold up the action, but don't care if I have to from time to time.