Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: \"play your rush\" by Doyle Brunson

I think most play their rush, but the key is not to OVER-play your rush. If you want to see a few more flops with marginal hands while you're dragging pots left and right, there's nothing wrong with that. However, as soon as you start taking non-justified gutshots to the river just "knowing it's gonna hit", the rush is gonna end.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:37 PM

my question is do top players really believe there is some force in the universe that makes good hands go to those that have been winning? i can't believe the top players would believe something as stupid as this.

the cards being dealt have no clue as to who has been winning.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my question is do top players really believe there is some force in the universe that makes good hands go to those that have been winning? i can't believe the top players would believe something as stupid as this.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but after you have played millions of hands you are aware that there are times when you can hit a run of cards where you just "can't seem to lose".

When those rare occasions come up, they simply take advantage of them. It's not like they believe in the "rush fairy" or anything...
Old 11-17-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the statement above you are saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!

No, but after you have played millions of hands you are aware that there are times when you can hit a run of cards where you just "can't seem to lose".

When those rare occasions come up, they simply take advantage of them. It's not like they believe in the "rush fairy" or anything...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the statement above you are saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

by the above statement you're saying that you and the top players DO believe in the rush fairy!
Old 11-18-2005, 05:58 PM

I gather from full contact poker blogs that they play what are called props which are 100% luck only, also many big time pro gamblers do hold to the concept of streaks and beyond normal runs, no one really believes in a fairy unless they are in that system. I have used that feeling many times, to think that the coin flip example is real is not so sure the persons have power so also in dice and horses, the dealer in poker and the old or new deck. In poker skill is important most because the cards and luck even out in a way that if you are not smart you cann't use,say;that you get a royal flush that is high odds so now you to even out see nothing for months? But, why does math matter? It is a tool like landing devices in planes. Also I have seen some computer run downs on coin flips that after ao many hundred of thousands heads was up by some ten thousand, you may have to have a very deep roll to play only the odds in the standard way. I almost always try to invision what the flop will be for or against me if I have a suited jumble hand; there are many risks in poker etc. and you come up with situations that if you loss being right about the odds you can keep your cool, but I learned an old poker parlance that is the pros play " anything they think is pretty". I have done that myself when I caught a hand I thought the colors were more shiny then normal and they have all payed off, it isn't rational and the machine makes rational powers look on top but to think that the maker of the word luck was a lair or from a more dark time is to be very primitive and this has put everything on the edge of death, the atomic bomb was not made by someone who used luck. Could you imagine the dictionary if some one cut out all that type of wording? The advent of disbelief in the modern man is also the extinction of everything and the failure of everything, no one has proved that doubt of rushes has done any good at all maybe that you don't get the concept but not that you know it is impossible,I myself today have gotten busted out of three tournaments with KK or QQ vs AA now what are the odds of that in the same two hours? all also at the same stage of the game right before pay outs, so I hold with the rushes as very real and only beyond the level of our mind at this time not impossible,
Old 11-17-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, absolutely not. Based on what you are saying, every time I start to win a few hands, I believe this is going to be the “next great rush” and start donking off chips.

I win several hands in a short period all the time and it never crosses my mind.

But if you play enough hands, once every blue moon you just hit one of those runs. I don’t play stupid, I just bet a little more aggressive than I normally would.

But I’m not a top player, so my experience doesn’t really address your question.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, absolutely not. Based on what you are saying, every time I start to win a few hands, I believe this is going to be the “next great rush” and start donking off chips.

I win several hands in a short period all the time and it never crosses my mind.

But if you play enough hands, once every blue moon you just hit one of those runs. I don’t play stupid, I just bet a little more aggressive than I normally would.

But I’m not a top player, so my experience doesn’t really address your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not getting what has been said to you. While it is correct to say that sometimes you do really well over a certain period of hands, It is not correct to say that it is possible to determine when you are in one. I have heard many blackjack players say things similar to what you are saying - they don't believe in "rush fairies" but they say they get their maximum money in during that "window" when they are experiencing a winning streak. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

If you were betting heads playing a fair coin flipping game and you knew that you sometimes go on long 'rushes', would you actually bet more when you started to win a few in a row? It seems obvious to me that this makes no sense.

While there is truth to the fact that the psychological effects of rushes certainly helps prolong them, you still cannot predict the occurence of a hot run of cards, even when you are in it.

So.. there is no rush fairy, and stop believing in it. I think it is strange that many top players do believe this, but I get the impression that this is the case. I suppose that many professional athletes are quite superstitious, so maybe it isn't so foreign after all.