Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Default best book for single table SNG??

hey guys, what would u guys recommend for a beginner SNG book

thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: best book for single table SNG??

Harrington on the heavy (but very good) side .. or Kill Phil on the lighter side
Old 12-07-2005, 09:24 PM

Getting Started In Hold Em covers SNG strategy for beginners.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:27 PM

how beginner is the strategy?

is that going to be well applied for party's 10+1?

i'm a regular limit player btw, 1-2 on pp and enjoying a pretty good winrate right now
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM

Then get Harrington vol 1 and 2 .. and you will do allright .. even if you decide to swich to NL cashgames
Old 12-07-2005, 09:32 PM

This will have to be confirmed, but I have been told that there is a section in Winning Low Limit Hold'em 3rd edition by Lee Jones.

I plan on picking it up soon, and if nobody replies sooner, I will let you know what I think when I can.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:44 PM

The closest thing is the satellite book by McEvoy and Daugherty. You don't play as aggressively and push as much in an SNG with a 100-60-40 prize distribution as in a WTA SNG. However, single table satellites closer to SNGs than tournaments are.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This will have to be confirmed, but I have been told that there is a section in Winning Low Limit Hold'em 3rd edition by Lee Jones.

I plan on picking it up soon, and if nobody replies sooner, I will let you know what I think when I can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the new edition of WLLH does have a nice section on the one table SNG.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 PM

i like Harrington 1/2... but i found it goes from deep stacks to the very end very fast. those two areas are done very well, but i find in sit-n-go's that i'm constantly under some pressure from the blinds unless i triple up pretty early.

i think that's the key point for most of us i.e. when we have 20 big blinds in either a SNG or a 200 person tournament. i have 17 big blinds, but should i use one on 87s???

i think there will be a flood of new books and won't surprise me if harrington 3 or miller no-limit covers alot of what we need... but right now i think you have to bring a whole bunch of sources together and do your own thinking/experimenting (which you'll always have to do anyway)
Old 12-08-2005, 07:30 AM

Actually I do not quite agree with you on that ... In MTT's it is really a problem that Harrington hasn't covered the semideep stack (yellow) zone ... Trouble is that you have to survive for a long time in a MMT and since so many are playing and therefore busting out, the others stacks tend to grow very large compared to you, If you just let you self drift into the red zone

But SNG are quite another beast since you are only ten to start with, you are still quite large compaired to the others when getting shortstacked, apart from one or two who have doubled or tripled, everyone is hitting the shortstaked zones at the same time, so you just push .... good thing is since everybody else is also about your size, you must be respected.