Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Aces on Button, boring flop

10/20 Party 6-Handed

Hero dealt black aces on Button

One limper, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls, limper calls.

Flop Ad Ah 3h

What's your plan from here?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Aces on Button, boring flop

Flopped quads? Slow play.

I'm no expert but I'd check/call flop, check/raise turn, bet river if it gets that far. Pretty standard play I think.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:05 PM

I'm on the Button, which makes it difficult to check-raise.

Bet the flop, check the turn if called.

first off, if you dont bet the flop, you might as well anounce to the table that you have at least one A...

so a flop bet is a given. as for the rest of the hand it is dependant on the flpp actaion, as well as the players involved. cant really say much more than that with the info you have provided, apart from expanding a tree of possible outcome which i dont feel much like doing.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you also didn't see that Hero has the button?
Just bet flop, bet turn, bet river. Keep betting. It's 4-handed, someone will chase or have something. If not, then fine, you just get a small pot.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
first off, if you dont bet the flop, you might as well anounce to the table that you have at least one A...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am aggressive short-handed, but I do not always fire continuation bets. If I were to have a hand like KJ or KQ here, I would check the flop and fold to any bets on following streets. Therefore, I don't think checking the flop necessarily means I have an ace.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:15 PM

you raised PF. the board contains at least 1 ace. your flop bet is not a continuation bet.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:19 PM

So on any random hand, if I were to raise preflop, am I supposed to always fire on any flop that contains an ace?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing you also didn't see that Hero has the button?
Just bet flop, bet turn, bet river. Keep betting. It's 4-handed, someone will chase or have something. If not, then fine, you just get a small pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I saw that hero has the button. The reason my line is g00t is that:

1. Hero raised preflop so the flop bet is expected; the absense of a flop bet will smell like a slowplay.

2. A bet on the flop allows somebody to take a shot at the pot by checkraising you or the field. If checkraised, obviously do not reraise. You have position, so you smooth call any checkraise and let the OOP bluffer keep firing.

3. If nobody fires at the pot OOP, betting the turn is a mistake. The reason is that, of course, the deck is crippled by the flop. The only hands that conceivably like that flop are 33, a pocket pair, and a heart draw. The downside to checking the turn is that if somebody actually has a hand like 33, you miss a ton of bets. You also miss bets if somebody is drawing at hearts. However, this is pretty infrequent, and checking the turn allows somebody to put you on a bluff, and take a shot at the river. Pocket pairs will also be suspicious of your river bet and they will look you up. Finally, checking the turn lets somebody fill a heart or str8 gutshot draw.

4. This is a small pot. Perfect for slowplay. Had the pot been larger, then it would be an obvious value bet on the turn, since nobody with a large pocket pair easily folds. But there are only 4-6 BBs in the pot on the turn (depending on how many people call your flop bet).