Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Default So I auto rated myself in poker tracker. Feedback please

According to pokertracker I'm slightly LAG preflop and Aggressive post flop.

Is this good or not? This is all new to me.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: So I auto rated myself in poker tracker. Feedback please

Maybe. Unfortunately, it depends on about a million things, and you need lots and lots of hands for stats to not be meaningless. Way more hands than you probably think.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:43 PM

Sure but I'm guessing the point of having the program is not only to rate the other players but to find holes in your own game.
So maybe I need to tighten up, loosen up, be more or less aggressive etc?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:48 PM

There are good players and there are bad players that are:

LAG preflop and Aggressive post flop.

If that style suits you or not - I dont know.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:49 PM

Copy and paste your stats here and you will get more feedback. Your comments are general for anyone to say anything useful. There are plenty of players who make a lot of $$$$$ as LAGs. Style is just one variable in the equation. IMO, style is overrated (I'm a SLAG), decision-making and post-flop play are where $$$ is gained and lost.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

Not really true - VPIP and aggression converges MUCH MUCH more quickly than winrate does. The auto-rates are fairly trivial rules (someting like LA/A means 20/10 preflop, and you raise > 1.5 times more than you call or check postflop) and a large sample size isn't really necessary to get a ballpark figure good enough for an autorate.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:50 PM

PT helps find holes in your game when you start looking at your profitability by position (Position Stats tab) and by starting hand (General Info tab). These help you figure out if, e.g., you're playing too many hands UTG, or playing Axs too much.

I guess "Known Final Hand Summary" on the Misc. Stats tab might also helpful (w/ Show Only... checked) to figure out if you typically overplay pairs or such.

I find the rating stuff useful for other players, but for my own play PT has infinitely more detail.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So maybe I need to tighten up, loosen up, be more or less aggressive etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid the answer to this general question is still yes. Maybbe.

I'm guessing you're new to serious poker? If so, congratulations. You've taken on for yourself an extremely rewarding game. It's also very difficult, much more difficult that you may think. It will take a very long time to learn to play well. You might be trying to use PT & some autorate rules as a kind of high-output learning tool. It's not, and it can't be used that way.

It can be used as a small part of larger curriculum, but by itself it is nothing.

Your in the right place though. Your best bet now is to start reading books and this forum. Focus on just one game (limit/no-limit) and just one structure (cash games/tournies). Read the recommeded books. Read & contribute to the right forum. Play 25,000 hands. If you work at it, you'll learn & improve.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:07 PM

Don't place too much emphasis on your auto-rating and overall stats in PT. I mean if PT says that you're a rock with a 5% VP$IP over your first 10,000 hands, don't start lagging it up just to change your icon from a rock to an eagle. Improve your game and understand what style you like to play. If you are playing a TAG style, then your stats should look something like 22/6/2 (VP$IP/PFR%/AF). Take samples of your stats as your game evolves. As you learn the game, you'll play differently from session to session, week to week, etc. That means your cumulative stats won't really reflect the way that you're playing today.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:10 PM

Ok I see what you guys are saying.

These stats are for a total of 1500 hands. About 1000 on party 25/NL and the rest on pstars 2/4 limit.

I might be rated as LAG just because I had a really good run of cards and poker tracker just looks at my VPIP without looking at what hands I'm putting money in with.
Judging by my win rate over those 1500 hands I'd have to say it was a good run of cards.