Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM

Default AK gets reraised by unknown

Here I have 2 questions,

1) vs an unknown should I cap preflop? If so, please explain.

2) Do I have enough equity to continue on the turn given the pot size? Try without pokerStove [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Overall, in this game, raises made from mp2 or earlier are rarely reraised.

1$/2$ (7 handed) on Full Tilt (I got sucked it for the 500$ bonus...)

Folded to Hero in mp2 with [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

Pre-flop:
<font color="blue"> hero raises </font> , MP3 folds, CO 3 bets, everyone else folds, <font color="blue">hero calls</font>.

Flop: [Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] (2 players) 7.5 SB
<font color="blue"> Hero checks</font>, CO bets, <font color="blue">Hero calls</font>.

Turn: [Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4.75 BB
<font color="blue">Hero checks</font>, CO bets, <font color="blue">Hero...</font>

Here I am getting 5.75 to 1. I plugged in [TT+,AQo+,AQs+] into PokerStove and found out for myself whether calling was ok or not.

As an exercise try estimating my equity on the turn. I got it wrong during the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Feel free to comment on my hand range for an unknown.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:11 AM

Default Re: AK gets reraised by unknown

Preflop doesn't matter much between calling or capping. Since it's heads-up and you're out of position, I would usually call and see a flop.
[ QUOTE ]

Here I am getting 5.75 to 1. I plugged in [TT+,AQo+,AQs+] into PokerStove and found out for myself whether calling was ok or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn is really close. Your overcard outs aren't looking that good against a tight preflop raiser and the flop/turn action. Against AA,QQ,JJ you don't have enough outs to continue, and I don't see him betting the turn again with TT. So you pretty much have to hope he has KK,or AQ and that you have enough equity to continue. AK could probably take a free card. I would fold.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:22 AM

You made a good point. He probably would not bet AK again. I think he should bet TT though since it's getting pretty obvious I have AK. Without AK in the mix, my equity takes quite a dive, and folding becomes correct.

If you were villain, what would you put me on in this spot? And would you bet AK? I don't think my opponent was sophisticated enough for these things to matter but I am just wondering.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:25 AM

I don't think it's obvious to him you have AK. You could have a wide range of hands here.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 AM

I fold the flop with a weaker Ace, and probably check raise a pair. But my opponent does not know that.

I thought it was a common thing to assume that a tight aggressive preflop raiser who is now check calling has unimproved overcards (AK in this case).
Old 10-01-2005, 01:25 AM

Not looking at other replies yet....

I'd only cap preflop in that situation if there were others stuck in between, but that's not the case.

I think you have his hand range right on. I know I wouldn't re-raise with AJs. I'd be iffy to RR with AQos, especially if you are an unknown to him. MP2 isn't exactly the CO.

So yeah, I think your reraise range is pretty accurate.

If that is the case, you have to hope he has TT and only TT. With the board the way it is, I doubt I'd continue.

If he showed me he had TT, and promised he'd call at least a river bet when an A or a K hit, I'd most likely peel then. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Against that range, I don't even know what equity you'd have. I'll have to run it.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:34 AM

I've found that not capping preflop is overly cautious. You have to set yourself up for a profitable semi-bluff later in the hand.

Quite often when you flop no pair, a usual line goes like this: You bet the flop, CO raises, you 3-bet, he ?. Depending on what he does here, you can now put him on a big pair, or even make him lay it down on the turn if he just calls and you fire again. To him, it looks like you have AA or KK, so to him it looks like his AK/AQ/JJ/etc. is drawing slim. You'll win a lot of pots that you wouldn't win at showdown this way. And if he refuses to put down JJ/TT, you have 6 outs anyway.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:18 AM

1. Cap preflop with AKo OOP? No way, Jose.

2. TURN as played: Fold. Your overcard outs might not be any good and your straight outs are probably no good as there would be hardly any cards CO could have that you would not be losing to.

3. PS: Not one of your questions, but.....
BET the FLOP and fold to a raise. The problem with checking is that you don't know if CO's made his bet only because you checked. If called, bet out the turn and fold to a checkraise. If called, check/fold the river unimproved, you are behind AQ, or check/call if you think you are chopping with AK.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. PS: Not one of your questions, but.....
BET the FLOP and fold to a raise. The problem with checking is that you don't know if CO's made his bet only because you checked. If called, bet out the turn and fold to a checkraise. If called, check/fold the river unimproved, you are behind AQ, or check/call if you think you are chopping with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet I think he might still raise with hands like JJ, TT or AK. He also wants to find out where he stands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], no?

In this case I would be giving up to much by folding a possible 6 outer given 10-1!! Plus paying for it...

I prefer check calling, so that I pay to draw and not to find out that I am more likely to be badly beat...