Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2005, 02:54 AM

Default AJo against a good, aggressive opponent.

BB is 2+2er from my 86s hand. Seems good, very aggressive -- possibly too aggressive at times. Overall, he seems like a solid player though.

One limper to me and I raise OTB with AJo. SB calls, 2+2er calls in the BB, and limper calls.

The flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Checked to me and I bet. 2+2er raises. Everyone folds. I call planning on raising the turn.

The turn is the 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he checkraises. Now I reevaluate and 3-bet, planning on calling if capped but folding to a river bet UI, and checking behind on the river.

Good for EV? Good for metagame considerations? Or just plain spewing?

Rob
Old 05-18-2005, 03:18 AM

Default Re: AJo against a good, aggressive opponent.

I don't see many hands that villian calls a 3-bet on the turn. He's either capping JT or folding IMO. Looks like he realized you have a pair, and he's trying to push you off the hand on the turn. I'd probably call the turn, and bet the river for value when villian checks his 66, QTs or whatever. The thing I don't like about 3-betting the turn is that I don't put villian on any hands that will pay off on the turn but fold the river. There's no chance he's semi-bluffing here, so I don't see the purpose in charging and risking a cap. I'd be happy with 2BB on the turn, and 1 BB possibly on the river.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just plain spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan
Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 PM

I'd probably call the turn check/raise and call a river bet for the same 2 BB you spend by 3 betting (or one less if he caps you). You get an extra BB out of him if he is bluffing.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 PM

I don't think it's looking good for you here.

I don't think a 2p2er is raising the flop then checkraising the turn with less than TPGK on that board against another 2p2er.

You're crushed against JT and AQ, and significantly behind KQ.

I don't think he pulls this move with hands like KT, KJ, 99 or TT because it's too likely you have an A.

I don't think folding to the turn CR is horrible, but you could call down in case he has a worse A, and there's a chance the river could counterfeit his two pair if he does have KQ.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:17 PM

I think folding the turn is a mistake. I think 2 pair would have led the turn, hoping hero calls down. Villain looks pretty weak, so I call down.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:18 PM

You also have the gutshot outs, so have to call the turn. 3-betting is just spewing IMO
Old 05-18-2005, 12:22 PM

You were planning on raising him on the turn and you would be wondering what to do if he 3-bet. But instead he check-raised you on the turn and then you 3-bet. He did you a favor by check-raising you since you were going to raise him anyway because now the two bets went in on the turn that you were planning on putting in on the turn but you don't have to worry about him 3-betting you on the turn. 3 bets on the turn and river with top pair on a scary board like this against a solid player is the right amount of action.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just plain spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line, then?

It's very likely that he has a vulnerable hand that he'd like to fold the field on, given his flop checkraise. So I think JTs is out. He didn't 3-bet preflop, which he would do with AK and AQ. So they're out. That leaves KQ, weaker Aces (like AT), AJ (chop-chop).

He's significantly more likely to checkraise the flop with a weaker hand. Checkraising the turn is generally a strongish hand, but he'd play top pair like this in a similar way.

Rob
Old 05-18-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
just plain spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your line, then?

It's very likely that he has a vulnerable hand that he'd like to fold the field on, given his flop checkraise. So I think JTs is out. He didn't 3-bet preflop, which he would do with AK and AQ. So they're out. That leaves KQ, weaker Aces (like AT), AJ (chop-chop).

He's significantly more likely to checkraise the flop with a weaker hand. Checkraising the turn is generally a strongish hand, but he'd play top pair like this in a similar way.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

2 things. I didn't notice that he cr'ed the flop. And I forgot about gutshot outs.

Given all this, calling down to his cr seems ideal.