Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: use chat to outplay your opponents? (lc)

[ QUOTE ]
...Before pushing, simply go "hmm...no way you have that ace" and toss em in. Theres a surprisingly large number of weak players (maybe not surprising, actually) that will pay off. Perhaps they'd have paid off without the chat, but I really think that it is +ev in some cases.

[/ QUOTE ]
Back when I was learning 25NL, I was in a hand, contemplating calling all-in. I had a strong 2nd best hand. I called for TIME and the guy says, "Don't call, I'll show." Immediately after that he types, "...or call..." I had no idea what he wanted me to do. I was confused and made a bad call.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:27 PM

One thing I have found useful is to make out you are on tilt after taking a bad beat.

Ranting and raving convinces others that you have really lost your cool and will do anything to get your money back.

You'll be suprised how you will get called down because they think you are playing "any 2 cards".
Old 11-08-2005, 05:44 PM

I am a huge fan as well of using chat in online poker. Everyone always says that some of the best live games are ones where everyone is friendly, chatting it up, and having a good time. I believe the same thing is true with online poker. Some of the best tables that I have ever sat at have been the ones with numerous people chatting (myself included). Try to get a few people at your table talking for a while about non-poker related things, and guaranteed you will see the VP%IP go up a bit [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I never say anything rude, or insult any other players, but do enjoy trying to spit off random "jibrish" about my hands, etc. If people think they've got a read off of my jibrish, great for them, but I can assure you, they dont.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:05 PM

sounds like a good advice.

I usually sticks to nh (only to straightflushes and quads [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]) and ty though.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:08 PM

I always confirm what my opponents say. If they think I bluffed them out, or they ask, I just nod (if live) or type yes(even if I had a big made hand), but I never show unless they pay. This usually gets them eager to play another big pot with me, and they typically have very meager holdings when they do.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:17 PM

Hmmm, several thoughts.

First, the chat that used to really get in my head was someone talking smack after laying a bad beat on me with cards that should have been mucked preflop without a second thought. I have progressed to where that doesn't get me anymore. Time has shown that it all comes back around if you're patient.

To me the most annoying is/are the table coach(es) who criticize hand selection and betting all the while playing every hand to the river and not because they're getting good cards.

All that said, sometimes I'm flat out tempted to turn the chat off, but I don't - you can learn a lot about people by paying attention to their chat. Especially the windbags. Is there anything more fun than someone who thinks they're good, but they aren't?

You can get little clues from people's chat, from their screen name, and at Full Tilt from the Avatar they choose. Let's face it. At the low levels there are only a few basic styles. All of these things can help you start to classify your opponent.

As far as bluffing with your chat ... I don't see it. Admittedly I play at micro level where efforts to be clever are generally wasted. I've seen people try it. Usually it's painfully obvious from the start.

Honestly, even if someone does have a good act going, I've never found myself tempted to change up my play and go out on a limb solely because of a read I've gotten off of their chat. It may start me thinking along a certain line, but I'll wait and see what their play shows - again, at my level that doesn't take very long.

Finally, the Cardinal Sin of chat - when it's your turn to play, play first, then chat. One of the big advantages of online play is the number of hands you can get in. No one likes waiting on someone to play because they're too busy typing.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Taunting works....

Let's be honest... taunting certain players has rewards. Its usually the out-and-out idiots who have their ego wrapped in their play who can be pushed to tilt.

When someone makes a horrific river bluff when I've showed strength the entire hand and I take their money, I almost always type, "Nice Bet" or "Good Play." I've had numerous occasions where this player will now play every single hand I'm in trying to get their revenge. But, I'm still playing tight... so, the net effect is I'll usually be playing a hand with better cards then them, they have an unhealthy psychological reason for playing the hand and they're over-eager to get me involved in a big pot... this makes them much easier to read and play against.

And... on a similar note; people who curse you when you win a hand; I always immediately engage them. I look up what hand they had when they lost and laugh at it. Most of the time, I'm silent and I wouldn't be saying anything to this player... but when they curse me for winning a hand, I immediately and happily return fire; NOT because I'm angry (usually I laugh; after all, I just won and pot and they're insulting a complete stranger because they've misplayed their hand... that is funny) but because I want to feed their anger and encourage tilt. Again... from this point on, this player calls your every raise with any 2 cards hoping to bust you.

Its all part of the game.