Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: finding potentially good tables (lc)

[ QUOTE ]
I tried PA HUD and didn't like it. Maybe I'm just a creature of habit, but GT+ works fine for me. And I play at UB sometimes where the HH grabber incorporated into GT+ is a life saver. And GT+ does allow you to only display your stats from that table so you can see what your image is on each table. It was a new feature in a somewhat recent release (a few months ago).

[/ QUOTE ]

PA has a hand grabber built-in, too. It also will grab the past X hands (where you can specify X). It also will show your stats only from the current table if you include that on your layout. Honestly, PA is the bomb and I can't see myself every using anything else.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:15 PM

FWIW I noticed in PA HUD that clicking on my own name box at a Party Poker table brings up my stats for just that table. That way, I can see what others see of me for that session.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 PM

The skins and Party don't have anything but average pot size in the lobby so I'll just open 2-3 tables with the highest averages. If the waiting list is long for those I'll just add my name to the waiting list. If it's short, I'll data mine the table for 10 hands or so before deciding if I put myself on the waiting list. Ultimately, what I look for is people with VPIP > 40 with big stacks before sitting down and playing.

Then I do a search for people on my buddy list to get up to 4 tables open. If one of the buddies has a stack of 1.5x the buy in or more I'll immediately sit or put myself on the waiting list for that table.

This is for 6 max, btw, and I use PokerAce.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Does anyone else actively seek out tables with shortstacks? I find that if I can find a table with 3-5 opponents who have ~50BB that the table will have a very high VPIP, low aggression, and it will be very easy. I tend to crush these tables by limping more and just value betting well.

Shortstacks are big time fish.

(Stars 100NL 6max)
Old 11-04-2005, 03:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else actively seek out tables with shortstacks? I find that if I can find a table with 3-5 opponents who have ~50BB that the table will have a very high VPIP, low aggression, and it will be very easy. I tend to crush these tables by limping more and just value betting well.

(Stars 100NL 6max)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really do this alot, but if I happen to find a table with several or only shortstacks I usually sit down and make good money, only problem is that they leave so fast(hopefully after getting stacked a couple times). So far I've been quite lucky with these kinds of tables adding new shortstacks though so it's all good.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else actively seek out tables with shortstacks? ...Shortstacks are big time fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the fish to have a big stack. I want big implied odds when playing my pairs (set value) and SCs. big fish + big stack = bigger mistake
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else actively seek out tables with shortstacks? ...Shortstacks are big time fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer the fish to have a big stack. I want big implied odds when playing my pairs (set value) and SCs. big fish + big stack = bigger mistake

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but vs fishy shortstacks you can bust them more often with worse hands instead of busting them once in a while with slightly better hands. Besides I find it harder to find fishes with big stacks, maybe it's just me.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but vs fishy shortstacks you can bust them more often with worse hands instead of busting them once in a while with slightly better hands. Besides I find it harder to find fishes with big stacks, maybe it's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like playing the shortstacks when they're desperate to either double-up or go home. It's easy money as the shortstacks move in and hope for the best. I think it's annoying playing against someone who KNOWS how to play a good shortstack strategy, though. They cut down your implied odds, they often have odds to call or push all-in, etc.

There are plenty of big stack fish at 50NL full-ring on Stars. Lots of them can't lay down AA, KK, or AK with TPTK. I think Party's even more fishy.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

(Stars 100NL 6max)

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't know how to play their short stack it can be pretty profitable. I see alot of players with 20BB making a standard PF raise of 5bb or so and folding to a reraise, or calling for half their stack and check/folding a flop.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:32 PM

I don't think I've ever met anyone who plays shortstacks good so can't really comment on that. But yeah you're probably right, any tips on how to spot good shortstacks before they win the pot(s)?