Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Default A7s defense

Opponent is a LAG 80/22, but doesn't actively steal the blinds any more than his normal lagginess, he will open limp.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero.... ?
Old 05-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: A7s defense

How poker-savvy is our opponent? This looks like a pretty standard free card play - but most lags will continue to aggressively bet their draws again on the turn in my experience. If he isn't well-versed in such things then I think he's either slowplaying a monster or has absolutely nothing.

If he's intelligent enough to make a free card play with diamonds or use the flop raise as a cheap showdown move (because you 3bet preflop because and he's worried about kicker trouble) then I check-fold.

Otherwise I probably check-call, expecting to snap off some bluffs or chop with other aces enough to make it worthwhile, and so I can find out what he would play this way.

Surf
Old 05-15-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Otherwise I probably check-call, expecting to snap off some bluffs or chop with other aces enough to make it worthwhile, and so I can find out what he would play this way

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-15-2005, 05:43 PM

I fold this preflop. Is the raise standard? 22 PFR isn't exactly astronomical, even though that VPIP is.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:10 PM

Value betting without a kicker looks utterly pointless. Expecting this player to fold an ace is also doubtful. So I check.

It's also probably wrong to call in hopes of chopping. All flush and straight draws are home and there are many pair hands that may have taken the free card. Even if he would bet all worse hands he held this might be a close call.

[ QUOTE ]
Opponent is a LAG 80/22, but doesn't actively steal the blinds any more than his normal lagginess, he will open limp.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is really hard to interpret. If his PFR isn't inflated with blind steals, one is left to conclude that he raises even more than it appears in non-steal situations. Now if he were UTG I would conclude that he raises more than a normal 22% player would. If he were on the button/cutoff than obviously he would open raise less than the average 22% player. But at button+2 it appears that these factors cancel and we might be left with a typical 22% PFR player?

Anyway I am trying to expand my horizons, but preflop A7s looks a little over the top to me, especially against a player who would never understand why one might fold a better ace.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: A7s defense and results

I'm not sure how to interpret it either, other than call him a typical 22 pfr, who doesn't insanely over-steal. I check folded the river myself. I wasn't sure about pfr either, but this guy has the potential to pay off and be pretty nutty at times.