Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Curtains: no fear

This is the third time in a row that Curtains open pushed from SB into BB. How bad would your hand have to be to pass here? Do you even consider the increasing possibility of spite calls? BTW, BB is a regular on the 215s.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t990)
UTG+1 (t1610)
CO (t1380)
Button (t1900)
Hero (t1660)
BB (t2460)

Preflop: Hero is in SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero t1560 (All-in)</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>
Old 12-30-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Curtains: no fear

He's gonna have to spite call with like K8 or JT before this gets to be -$EV.

I know what you mean though, it is hard to make the third push in a row if your hand doesn't look very good and I often fail to make it.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:37 PM

Ouch, yeah, third time with a bad hand is scary, but usually people are scared enough to not spite call. If people complain about you pushing too much, then you're doing something right, right? Of course, don't be stupid. I would do this all the way down to 72o. If you get called, expect to lose, but the push isn't wrong, just scary.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM

Probably didnt notice it was 3rd time in a row at this table, I play with him all the time anyway. I would never push with 72o here also.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:49 PM

I feel that if you are in a game in which you are (correctly) more aggresive than your opponents, you must work to conserve a little bit of your image, and start folding some hands that you might have pushed if you were only thinking of this hand. People notice if you go all in every hand, and turning people against you is usually not profitable. I could easily imagine going all in on SB 3 times in a row though, that spot will usually be too good to pass on.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 PM

Sorry, I meant down to 72o, not including it... there are a few hands I would definitely fold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I meant down to 72o, not including it... there are a few hands I would definitely fold. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold plenty..Id fold stuff like T2, 96, etc etc....87 I like to play because the cards are next to each other [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'd fold 54o though against this guy....he takes things personally, I cant just push on him everytime.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold 54o

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd push 45s. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 03:40 PM

I usually assume the third time MUST mean a hand. Maybe curtains is working this angle? But then from most of curtains comments, it sounds like none of you 8-tablers pay that close of attention.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 PM

I actually pay a lot of attention, moreso than most 8 tablers. But okay, I don't pay attention to one particular tourney in terms of how much I push this opponent. about 10-20% of my tourneys involve this one player, and so with him the results of one tourney dont matter, but instead the resutls of our play together as a whole.