Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-24-2005, 02:34 AM

Default $10/20 stud hand

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (9.10 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (6.55 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___raises

6th Street - (16.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

River - (18.55 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (18.55 BB)
Old 12-24-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: $10/20 stud hand

Without knowing anything about the 5 seat, it is a judgement call on the 6th street fold, given that you must think he has a set of Qs or As (or unlikely, the other Ks). I would never check-raise 5th. I am uneasy with a big pair on 3rd street in a multiway pot, and I certainly am not going to give away the fact I have a little something by making the pot huge here.

I would have on 5th:
A) checked and called to see what developed, there are a lot of cards my opponents could hit here on 6th that I would have to fold to, and I'd like to see 6th as cheaply as possible (or check raised if 7 passed and I got a bet from one of the other two seats, preferably to get the hand heads up).
Or B) I would have led, and maybe the 7 seat would clear the field a bit.
Two bare kings with the 3 diamonds is not a hand I want to be hammering heavy in this spot.

Unless the 7 seat has a lot of notes from you involving the words 'idiot', 'donk' or 'retard', I think the fold is fine.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:33 AM

Wouldn't it of been better to bet 5th instead, hoping to get it raised and face them with 2 cold? If you still feel your hand is best now you can 3bet him.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it of been better to bet 5th instead, hoping to get it raised and face them with 2 cold? If you still feel your hand is best now you can 3bet him.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said. Check-raising just puts a lot of money into a four-way pot where you've got a pair of K's and a backdoor flush draw. I also wouldn't hate check-calling. On 5th street when I'm first to act, I would only check-raise if I'm certain the guy behind me will bet and if I have a monster made hand or a monster draw. You have neither.

As it played out, my guess is that he did have those buried K's. I've noticed a trend among many players with a high pair to raise and reraise any player who represents having hit the same pair, as if to say, "I had them first!" If he checked a set on that river, he's pretty weak.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:18 AM

Hmmm...I would not complete 3rd. Diamonds look great but with 2 callers already in the pot, I usually limp to entice a couple of other callers and I set my sights on a flush. If Seat 2 had had a T and I had the J then I might raise.

Because of Seat 7's raise om 3rd, I fold 4th.

5th: I check-call. Upon Seat 7s re-raise, I think a fold is the right play. Ks up could be a loser. Could you explain your check-raise and the call of the re-raise? Do you think a second pair would have put you in the running? At this point, I put him on trip 5s or Qs. Would he have re-raised with a pair of As?

On 6th: Did the dead 5s convince you of trip Qs? In spite of pot size, I think the fold is the right play.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:02 AM

I'm not gonna comment on 3rd street, I think everyone knows my feelings about raising with 3 flushes by now.

I really like the check raise on 5th street, you really need to try to get this pot heads up if you can. The part I don't like is that you called the re-raise on 5th street, and folded 6th street. I know that ace is a little scary, but there is so much in the pot right now.

Now I'm not sure whether you should fold to the 5th street re-raise or go to the river, but you shouldn't do something inbetween like you did. This is a really tough situation, given no read on the player I probably call him down. If I knew my opponent was fairly tight I would fold after the 5th street re-raise
Old 12-24-2005, 11:26 AM

That's what I do the great majority of the time.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not gonna comment on 3rd street, I think everyone knows my feelings about raising with 3 flushes by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've missed many of your posts on this, please elaborate. You are an excellent player Frappe but I think you need to mix up your play when you move up to tougher games.

That being said I think just calling on third could be better with the duplicated T. It really depends on the dynamics of the table.

[ QUOTE ]
I really like the check raise on 5th street, you really need to try to get this pot heads up if you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the action. It goes bet, call, call, and then raise. He never faces the field with two bets cold.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at the action. It goes bet, call, call, and then raise. He never faces the field with two bets cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Checkraising the turn after this action is spewing. Plain and simple. You eliminate no one and create an enormous pot. Betting 5th is the play.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Hi,

Third Sreet I like
4th I like
5th - I hate the checkraise given your position, If you had two pair or better I might have agreed.
6th - probably one of the rare instances where folding 6th after putting multiple bets in on 5th is correct. HOWEVER, how sure are you, given the pot size? Only you can answer that.

Happy Holidays,

Chris