Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Hypothetical Pot odds in tourney Question

Hypothetical situation:

Hand 1 of a SNG. I flop the nut flush draw. W/raising going on before I act the pot is now giving me 3:1 on my money to call off 1/3 of my stack trying to hit a flush. Lets say - for the sake of this question - I accidentally SEE the one players hand. Ax for TPTK. I know this player to overvalue TPTK so my FE = 0. Plus,my ace is no good as a winning out. I need a flush. THis is what I am struggling with at the moment.

WHICH decision has more value:
a) Calling.
1/3 of the time I hit my flush and end up having 3,000 in chips (or more probably with implied odds.)
Meaning 2/3 of the time I lose 1/3 of my chips early on.

-or-
b) Folding my priced in draw. Meaning 3/3 times I Don't lose 1/3 of my stack early on. I sacrifice the one time gaining on chips for the two times of losing chips.

Which has more value and why?

(Lets pretend that I know for a fact the turn would check around giving me a chance to draw to my flush to both cards.)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical Pot odds in tourney Question

If you know the turn is getting checked around you call. You only need like 2:1 to call so this isn't even close. EV is still the general decision maker in tourneys, especially when you're not in danger of busting yourself.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you know the turn is getting checked around you call. You only need like 2:1 to call so this isn't even close. EV is still the general decision maker in tourneys, especially when you're not in danger of busting yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this is standard. I understand this is the proper way to play. I always play this way. I try to teach all my friends to play this way....

I guess I was just looking to concrete the reasons WHY in my head.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:12 PM

Because you can't win a tournament if you're going to just sit there with your thumb up your butt and blind yourself off? Because failing to take advantage of positive gambles negates all of your poker skill?