Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:57 PM

Default What do you do to avoid tilt?

When I play live, I'll get up and walk around, go to the bathroom, maybe buy a soda or something.

When I play online, I like to fire up my PS2 and play some Grand Theft Auto. If I feel myself tilting, I'll start sniping people walking down the street, beating up hookers, etc. I also have a little stress ball (the kind that you squeeze) that I throw against the wall as hard as I can.

What does everyone else do?

LionelHutz
Old 11-27-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: What do you do to avoid tilt?

Whenever I am playing, and I make a play (that I made) because I am on tilt, I punch myself in the face. If someone else is in the room I usually ask them to punch me in the face, since they are able to hit me harder then I can hit myself.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:41 PM

I strive to always maximize the quality of my decisions since it's easier to stay tilt-free when you know you have played your best.

When I multitable online I usually play 1 hour sessions where I focus fully on my game without listening to music, chatting or surfing the web.

Each time I'm faced with a non-routine decision, I pause and take few seconds to think things through, often verbally (I raise because ...). Even if the choice seems simple, I force myself to pause and think.

Taking these small pauses before I choose what to do may be the single most important thing I do to stay off tilt. Losing a hand I was favored to win doesn't affect me when I know I have played correctly.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:41 PM

I have a visual reminder (my watch) sitting infront of me reminding me to take time, be patient, and think things through. This also acts as a chip guard in live games, and if I so choose, a randomizer.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Each time I'm faced with a non-routine decision, I pause and take few seconds to think things through, often verbally (I raise because ...).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. Sometimes my wife comes and sits on my lap while I'm playing. Whenever she watches, I explain to her what I'm doing and why. I usually perform much better when she's around and like to joke with her that she's my good luck charm, but after reading your post I'm thinking that I'm playing better because I'm explaining my decision process to someone else, thus forcing me to think through each play.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:38 PM

I still tilt way more than I should, but I disovered I had a REALLY bad habbit which didn't help and I've since stopped. I used to keep a running total of money I'd lost "on the river." Completely non-productive!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:12 PM

1. I try to acknowledge anytime tilt is creeping in. I talk to myself, announcing its arrival. This helps sooth me.

If that doesnt work, then there are some masking techniques you could use...

2.) Listening to music helps. Listening to some soft music relaxes me.
3.) Go into the bathroom and splash some water in your face.
4.) Take a 5 minute walk and come back. Or just take a 5 minute break to watch tv or something.
5.) Puncing bag. Get your anger out.
6.) etc etc
Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

I maintain a strict diet of cheeseburgers and whiskey. That helps prevent tilt as well as normal bowel function and maintaining significant interpersonal relationships.