Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 11-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Flat vs. Threaded?

Fine, I give up. You are apparently going to turn this into pointless semantics about what constitutes a "forum" and only things that don't allow nested comments count, so when people discuss movies on IMDB it's not functioning as a "forum", when people read usenet using any newsreader that shows things threaded it's not functioning equivalently to a forum, etc.

If you think that slashdot isn't a forum, then you haven't spent much time there. Yes, it has headlines on the frontpage and you have the option of just reading headlines in which case it is a news site. But a large portion of the populace there is there to argue and debate just like here and most of them don't even read the articles. The only practical difference between those sites and the forums you name is whether it requires approval to post a story/ start a thread.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

it's pretty simple: it's a forum when people go there for the sole purpose of reading and making posts.

this isn't a personal agenda, it's for the forum's future/growth. if you're 'giving up' already i can't imagine that you've thought through your position thoroughly enough to care, and instantly interpreting my response as a bias-selected group for the sake of semantic argument is just silly. how does a person with such instant judgements even become a moderator? i'm obviously not just throwing words around here lightly.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you're 'giving up' already i can't imagine that you've thought through your position thoroughly enough to care, and instantly interpreting my response as a bias-selected group for the sake of semantic argument is just silly. how does a person with such instant judgements even become a moderator? i'm obviously not just throwing words around here lightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are inferring more than what's in bobby's post IMO, and the bold part struck me as particularly ironic.

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 05:07 PM

I said I've "given up" because you want to turn this into personal attacks and name-calling rather than having a discussion. It's swell that your favorite forums use flat mode. I am sorry I offended you by saying that some people sometimes find threaded mode useful.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:09 PM

Jeez, when did this turn so vicious? Can't we all just get along [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I've already threatened Surf with a wet noodle fight, maybe you two should just take it outside, too. Of course, Surf hasn't even condescended to respond to my challenge. Perhaps I should blackmail him with those pics I found on the Internet in my threaded forum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

At least I have a date with Astroglide. Don't forget to bring some with you, we might need it [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Astro!
Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I said I've "given up" because you want to turn this into personal attacks and name-calling rather than having a discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

you originally cited your reason for giving up was that i was turning it to semantics. i can assure you that i wasn't, and i provided a clear and simple definition to back up this point.

now you're saying you gave up because i turned it into a personal attack? could you please quote my personal attack against you that happened before you said you gave up?

the entire point of my involvement here is to have a discussion with the forum's best interest in mind.

people go imdb to look up movie/tv facts, and they MIGHT read or make a post. people go to amazon.com to make purchases, and they MIGHT read or make a comment. people go to slashdot for news. people go to fark for links. etc. they are not pure forums, and thus shouldn't be used for direct comparison as operational models.

as with the other forum examples i gave above, people go to the 2+2 forums to make and read posts. there is nothing that can be done on the 2+2 forum other than making and reading posts.

the fake "i'm sorry if i offended you" comment is both indirect and childish.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've already threatened Surf with a wet noodle fight, maybe you two should just take it outside, too. Of course, Surf hasn't even condescended to respond to my challenge. Perhaps I should blackmail him with those pics I found on the Internet in my threaded forum. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

*runs and hides*

Seriously though, my post was completely humorous...especially because the longer someone has been around 2+2 the more likely they are to read in threaded mode - i've only gone over to the dark side since about a year ago.

But, if it's a wet noodle fight you want, it's a wet noodle fight you'll get! *Rolls up sleeves*

Surf
Old 11-15-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are inferring more than what's in bobby's post IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

it wasn't an inferrence. he suggested in plain english that i was resorting to semantics, which was a hasty and incorrect judgement.

this is a private and purposeful discussion among moderators. even if he thinks that might be the case, he could afford to give me more of a benefit of a doubt. i'm a reasonable person.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:46 PM

FWIW, Glenn is in agreement with the masses. He is a FLAT man, which is probably a good thing, since I am now the proud owner of a bi-lateral mastectomy [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

God, I crack myself up...masses, flat, why doesn't anyone else think I'm as funny as I do? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

But I digress, lol, the point is, he sort of explained to me the advantages (and one disadvantage) of flat mode. At least someone finally had the courage (or was threatened enough, I still can't tell) to explain why flat is better, and why threaded can be temporarily used to figure out who is responding to who, and in what order, when a thread becomes too big.

Since FLAT is in, and I seem to be in a situation of being flat permanently, I'll sing the praises of flat, flat, FLAT. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Besides, if we change software, I probably won't have a choice.

I am, however, leaving my settings on threaded. Even if, I, personally am FLAT. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
could you please quote my personal attack against you that happened before you said you gave up?

[/ QUOTE ]
"a really fundamental lack of understanding", "only the 'non-internet type' veterans continue to read in threaded mode because they don't know any different"

It's clear that you have a different attitudes towards these discussions than I do and I don't find your attitude constructive which is why I said I "give up". Despite saying that you want what is best for the forum, you seem mostly fixated on proving who is right and who is wrong, and to be frank, I think I am mature enough that my ego is not caught up in proving whether I can come up with the best definition of the word "forum" and so forth. If you think that you are completely right here, then that is swell. All I was trying to comment was that some people do find threaded mode useful sometimes since some people were saying that isn't the case. This shouldn't be make or break issue on what forum software we use. Is that really such a big deal?