Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-20-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Missing Cat... Any chance he\'ll come back?

So, I stayed at a friends house accross the city for the weekend. I always leave the window slightly cracked when I leave so that my cat can get some fresh air since I turn off the A/C.

Anyways, I came back, and the window had been pushed open and the screen had been knocked out of the window. The cat was missing. He's an indoor cat who's never been outside before except when I hold him and sit on my porch. I live on the first story of a huge apartment complex, so there's tons of bushes and places for him to hide around here. He has tags with my phone number.

Anyways, I've never had an outdoor cat before. What are my chances of having him come back? He's a big cat with front claws, so I'm not too worried about him getting beat up by an animal, but I'm just wondering how long cats can remember how to get home. He might have been gone for 4 days already.

Right now I had my porch door propped open with food outside the porch and the front door propped open with food sitting in it so that if he does wander home he'll want to stay. I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

Edit: The cat was the one who opened the window and knocked out the screen. He has knocked out the screen before, I never would have guessed he could open a window.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Missing Cat... Any chance he\'ll come back?

Sorry to hear about your missing cat. Since we're talking about an inside cat with no outside experience I'd say he's most likely dead by now. Whether killed by something wild or run over by a car chances are he's gone for good. You never know though, something might have scared him away from the house when he got out and he got lost.

Swede
Old 09-20-2005, 06:12 PM

I don't think he'll find his way home, he'll need to be picked up by somebody. I think someone will find him and give you a call. You'll get him back man.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right now I had my porch door propped open with food outside the porch and the front door propped open with food sitting in it so that if he does wander home he'll want to stay. I also took off work today to sit home with the doors open so I could be here if he came back.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the sweetest things ever! (I need to find my box of tissues) You stayed home from work?

My limited experience is that after 4 days the chance of his returning on his own is kind of slim. However, I don't think it's impossible. Tomorrow you should check the animal shelter in your neighborhood.

I will say a prayer for you and your cat. (what's his name?)
Old 09-20-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. His name is Turkish (like the guy in the movie Snatch). I'm going to put up some signs tonight and everything. I'm just glad he has a collar with tags and my phone number on it. Pretty much the only hope I have left.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:21 PM

Yeah. I figured they probably didn't find their way home after 4 days. I'm hoping that he's been back since I was gone and just couldn't figure out how to get back in.

Making signs right now though.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. His name is Turkish (like the guy in the movie Snatch). I'm going to put up some signs tonight and everything. I'm just glad he has a collar with tags and my phone number on it. Pretty much the only hope I have left.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:30 PM

A couple of things:

1) your cat knows how to get home. It's a scent/marker thing.

2) I really hope someone finds him and calls you. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2005, 06:30 PM

Olive and I will think good thoughts for his return.

I think he's OK, and I think he'll come back. Cats are amazingly resilient and I think have a killer sense of direction. He's probably just out seeing the sights.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:45 PM

turkish turkish2