Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2005, 01:03 PM

Default 3/6 - Flopped set of 8\'s

Thought this one turned out pretty interesting. All players are horrible:
Button is 47/6/5 over 45 hands
BB is 54/21/2 over 60 hands
SB is 88/15/0.5 over 65 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (12 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB

My thoughts:
Preflop/Flop was standard.
On the Turn, I figured that either SB or BB was on flush draw due to them smooth-calling the capped flop, so I check to try to make it as cheap as possible for me to fill up.
On the River, I bet out to ensure that Button would not check it through.

I think the River play was a mistake. In retrospect, the probability of button checking this through is pretty slim, whereas the probability of button raising and knocking out the blinds is very real.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: 3/6 - Flopped set of 8\'s

Odd. Not sure what those blind players are calling 4 bets on the flop with then folding the river. I think i might have check called the river.

It looks to me like the button either has Ax 2 pair or the nut flush.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:13 PM

You're giving your opponents way too much credit. The blinds seem way loose, you said they were horrible, and you think they are only calling with decent draws?! They are calling because that is what they do. You overanalysed yourself into paralysis here.

Button seems overaggro and the other two are loose and fairly passive, and you have middle set. You need to get all the bets you can into the pot. Cap the turn, at least. Slowing down would only be a good idea if the blinds drop (since the Button could very well have a pair of aces plus the flush draw), or wake up on the third flush card.

-K
Old 09-03-2005, 03:32 PM

Wow. You actually got the perfect setup to milk this hand for all its worth - checking and getting a bet/call from the whole field on the turn - and then you got a breeze up your skirt. Even bad, loose, passive players will raise a flush here. You're best, raise it and charge for anyone drawing to a club.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow. You actually got the perfect setup to milk this hand for all its worth - checking and getting a bet/call from the whole field on the turn - and then you got a breeze up your skirt. Even bad, loose, passive players will raise a flush here. You're best, raise it and charge for anyone drawing to a club.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I noticed the missed c/r after I posted the hand as well. Guess I was still in the "see the river cheap" mindset and called without thinking.