Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-30-2005, 10:39 PM

Default 10/20 A high against LAG

Known LAG open-raises from Button. I am in BB w/ A3o. I call. HU.

Flop: 8s2hTc

I check. LAG bets.

Now I feel like I often have the best hand here. But am I supposed to not contest this pot with the LAG, keep it small, and fold here and wait for a better spot to trap him? Sometimes, I decide to call these down, but will my A-high be best often enough to make this a profitable play? Also, I don’t want to CR the flop here because LAG is so LAGGY that he might raise back, and I will ultimately lose a raising match.

Essentially, what my question boils down to is… do you have to wait for a good hand to trap these LAGs and not contest these A-high with a non-threatening board hands?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: 10/20 A high against LAG

I C/R the flop and reevaluate after I see how villain reacts.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:29 AM

KramerTM,

First off, if he's a known LAG, posting his screenname would help in evaluating this situation.

Well, first of all it depends what kind of LAG this is. You should consider how often he steals, how often he goes to showdown, and how tricky he is.

If he goes to showdown more than 34-35% then I'm insta-folding this flop. Sure you might be ahead here but how do you plan to get to showdown? Checkraising sucks if he's tricky at all b/c you'll get 3-bet with draws and overcards. Against non-tricky LAGs you might be able to find out where you are on the flop but against anyone who's remotely tricky I don't think checkraising serves any purpose at all.

I just think button's getting to showdown too often on THIS board. Checkraising is ok on maybe a 6x7x8x board or a paired board but not here.

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially, what my question boils down to is… do you have to wait for a good hand to trap these LAGs and not contest these A-high with a non-threatening board hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can certainly contest hands with A-high against these type of plays but this just isn't the board to do it. Without knowing anything about the button, I think the board texture isn't good enough to try to get to showdown with A-high here.

___1___
Old 12-31-2005, 12:32 AM

ya. IMO folding > calling >>>>> checkraising. This is a big time reverse implied odds situation against a typical LAG i think
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 AM

So the moral of the story seems to be... that it is suicide that I play 10/20 6max and still am too lazy to figure out how pokertracker works.

OK OK... time to take the time to load all my saved hands and figure out what all those numbers mean.